Tire problem, age or foul play?

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
So, one of the wheels on the vic was leaking between the rim and the tire at the bead, figured the tire needed to be pulled off, seat cleaned up of corrosion, and reinstalled. Since I have a particular tire shop next to the store, I decide to pop it off and bring it in to get looked at, agreed at $25. Tell them no hurry, I'm working all day next door, but call when ready. Meanwhile, as I bring the wheel in, one of the techs I tinted a car for, gives me a quick compliment on the tint job. So, 430 rolls by, the other installer is about to leave, so I call and ask if the wheel was ready, they say it is, and oh, theres a bulge in the sidewall. :squint: That wasn't there before but I'll come in, look at it and pick it up, figuring it was a belt seam or something insignificant. Go to pick it up, this is what I'm greeted with.

2012-05-26170440.jpg

2012-05-26170451.jpg

I calmly explain that aside from the leak, the tire was fine when I brought it in, and I would have noticed something like that. He explains that his equipment couldn't have caused this to happen. A little back and forth, I'm keeping calm because they are used tires/wheels, the tires are 6 years old according to the date codes, but it doesn't make sense for this to happen. I say just that, he says, well, loose rim, if it was on the car, I could say one of the techs hit a pothole, but obviously that's not the case. The tire was at 15 psi when it was brought in, (this I couldn't confirm, filled it a day ago to 30, its at 32 in those pictures.) He deflates it, looks like normal minus a little damage from what I'd guess is damaged belt, brings it up to 15, you can still see it, not as pronounced, but it's there. I say, I would have noticed that, and my other tech at my store would have seen that too, he pointed out the fact that it was patched. Well, if you want to talk to the manager, he'll be here on Monday. (keeping in mind I live an hour away from work...). So, for now, I agreed to pay the $20 to get the wheel back and to keep everything calm, but obviously now, I'm looking at a new tire, plus one for the other side to match.

Looking at them, this is 0 psi,
2012-05-26182058.jpg

15psi, approx the same as when I brought it in...
2012-05-26182433.jpg

2012-05-26182438.jpg

What do you guys think? 6 year old tire, $h!t happens, or foul play? Obviously if it was the guy with the car I tinted, he could have brought it in for warranty work if he had any issues, I slightly doubt that, but... I have this posted on my work forum, people are saying this is the result of heat being added but... Either way, that's going to be $200 a tire not including ship/tax/install that was going to go toward a project bike, and I'm less than thrilled about it, can't even sleep right now...Anyway, let me know what you think...

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Yeah, that would make sense, so far, I've gotten one vote for serendipitous failure, a couple for damage from heat from some sort (I'm gonna say no, no obvious signs), and now prying damage.

I'm almost willing to accept it at this point, the bigger beef I have now, I was distracted by the obvious issue, but there are also a few "bite marks" from the machine on the inside of the rim that I didn't readily notice, if anything, I'm going to ask for the $20 back due to this, they only seem cosmetic so....

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Problem is, even if you get a read on what caused the damage, knowing and proving are two different things. Unless the installer admits he screwed up, the cost of the tire(s) will be on you. I'd think about using a different shop in the future although any shop can have an installer who is having a bad day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info