Replacing the differential on 02 Dodge Caravan?

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Seems as if the parents minivan's differential taking a shit and is binding up on turns, it has destroyed 2 CV shafts. Not sure if the whole trans needs to come out and be replaced or its something that can be replaced on its own. Anyone know?

The van has higher miles (127k) and isnt in the best shape, but was hoping to just get it fixed cheap and to ride it out a little longer.

Thoughts? If it is something that the trans needs be r&r'd theres a trans shop by me, but I know they are about on par with similar transmission shops, and the parents are just looking to throw something in to last a year or so.

Thanks
-Nick

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I'm far from an expert on the caravan differential/trans. but, in general, have you ever heard of a "cheap" transmission repair? Figure a grand minimum and several grand top price. I'd get an estimate from the trans shop and then look at what a newer vehicle would cost. That should make it easier to decide whether to put the money into the Caravan or into buying another vehicle.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Id say a salvage part would be the cheapest route if it's only for a year or so they plan on keeping it.

It seems a typical fwd trans rebuild is around a grand or so. I called a bunch of shops to get my parents mini van's trans rebuilt over a year ago.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Flyin: you're 100% right usually anything trans isn't cheap especially if you can't do it yourself. Just was wondering if the differential was able to be separated and replaced separately from the transmission like on the GP.

Id say a salvage part would be the cheapest route if it's only for a year or so they plan on keeping it.

It seems a typical fwd trans rebuild is around a grand or so. I called a bunch of shops to get my parents mini van's trans rebuilt over a year ago.

I checked car part and it looks like the transmissions they have on there are all IMO overpriced for the miles they have on them, especially being that Chrysler hasn't been known to make reliable trans' in the 90's and early 2000's.

Do you remember the place? What kind of minivan? Other than the differential eating axles the trans was shifting fine. Though I know trans shops like to cover their ass so they usually recommend a rebuild.

Basically now I'm just calling different places for a general price. So looking for places people have had good experiences with..

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
My dad ended up taking it to aamco by their house. It's been fine since then and they've put about 50k on it. Trans started acting up around the 130k mark. Oh yea, it's an 01 Pontiac Montana.

I was more thinking like a u pull it yard but I don't know how involved you want to get. The one in wadsworth is super cheap. I'd assume the one near aurora is the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SaturdaysGS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list