V8 SHO =vs= V6 SHO

Biff

Banned
May 24, 2007
Why is it that nearly every modded SHO i've seen has a V6??
Is it that V8 SHOs don't lend themselves to accepting mods very well?

To me, it just stands to reason that a small V8 would make more overall power than a similar displacement V6

Are V6 SHOs faster than their V8 counterparts?

So what's the deal?

[I recently heard a sweeeeet-sounding V8 '99 SHO with Borla's, and immediately fell in love...]

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Why is it that nearly every modded SHO i've seen has a V6??

Is it that V8 SHOs don't lend themselves to accepting mods very well?

3 main things, Aftermarket, Transmissions, Cam failures.

The V-6's have a much larger aftermarket because: The engines are 100% Yamaha designed and are a superior design to the V-8's, as well as they have been around much longer *since 1989*

The V-6's are available in a 5 speed, Mazda designed manual transmission, and the V-6's are a completely Yamaha product. *the automatic ones from 93-95 come with a slightly larger 3.2 liter V-6 to compensate for the power loss through the autotradgic... They are still slower than the 3.0 liter manual models, and prone to failure.

The 96-99 V-8 SHO's have Yamaha DESIGNED heads, but everything is manufactured by ford, and there is a pretty serious flaw in the manufacturing process that ford over-looked, and is TO THIS DAY still fighting with people over (never had a recall, and they should have)

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/CamFailureLinks.htm

The V-8's however do sound AMAZING, and if the cams have been welded, and the transmission is solid, they are fantastic cruisers, but not really the 'stop light destroyers' the V-6's have come to be.

To me, it just stands to reason that a small V8 would make more overall power than a similar displacement V6

Are V6 SHOs faster than their V8 counterparts?

The V-8 SHO's are 3.4 liter V-8's, and only make 15 more HP than the V-6, AUTOMATIC V-6's are about the same as far as speed, if not a bit slower than their V-8 counterparts, A good running manual V-6 SHO will walk away from either, especially an 89-91 model *300lbs lighter than the 92-95 trims, and only came in stick*

*Vid of my essentially stock 93 Automatic V-6 racing a 95 Manual V-6*

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/dasfinc/Videos/?action=view&current=sypVSdasfinc.flv

So what's the deal?

[I recently heard a sweeeeet-sounding V8 '99 SHO with Borla's, and immediately fell in love...]

Good cruiser, VERY luxurious for the $ *Leather, sunroof, power everything, CD Changer, 6 speaker stereo, etc, etc*, Sounds fantastic, Can be had fairly cheaply, but limited aftermarket, and 'delicate' transmission and cam issue is a gamble you take when buying them.

*there is someone in Lombard that can weld cams for $500 (as in you drop off the car for a day and for $500 he pulls the cams, welds it ensuring they will never fail, and hands it back to you assembled/running good to go) He has never had one of his repairs fail*

On a side-note, both the V-6's and V-8's if maintained are renowned for running well over 200K+ Miles trouble free.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
No manual trans option in the late model versions i presume?

A V8 SHO w/manual tranny would be the shiznit

[a quick "V8 SHO for sale" Google search came up with a bunch of high mileage, overpriced dealer cars - decent price on one]

Privately owned V-8s sell for sub 3K, Dealer cars over 4K from what I've seen... But yes, Automatic transmission only in the 96-99 'third gen' SHO taurii

There is one Manual V-8 SHO *Custom done* that I'm aware of, maybe 2.

the one I know of is either in IL or Missouri? and I've been told it is pretty pimp shit.

01Cobra

The V8's are more reliable after the cams are welded. They don't shit out waterpumps, sensors, trannys(93sho's), syncros, diffs, require 60k's, and more but I would have to find the service sheets for my 93 SHO compared to the oil change sheets of my 97 SHO.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info