Busted brake line...

Alacran

GM fanatic
Jan 18, 2009
Chicago
...what a mess, trip , ordeal, etc.

Long story:
I was finishing the brakes Saturday night. Swapped the calipers, pads, and one hub (the reason i am finishing on Saturday). I put the wheels back on, took the jack stands out, and i am about to test drive the thing. All of a sudden the pedal goes to the floor and i can a spraying sound.

Then, i check the front calipers and i thought i found the leak, a loose banjo bolt. At the is point it is raining and really late so i decide to wait and bleed the brakes on Sunday.

On Sunday we tried to bleed the brakes (two man method) and then i see it the busted brake line spraying at the rear axle. Spent the next six hours replacing the line from center of the car to the right rear wheel, the line runs from the master cylinder.

Pretty proud of my bends but the flares, not so much. flaring on the car sucks. Also, without instructions and the internet i think i did ok. I practiced on line before i started and that showed me how tight the block has to be. Unfortunately, i found out later that there is a gauge that tells you how much line to have to flare. All of my flares filled the block just fine.

Basically, that sucked and i had to use two lines to get it done. the line over the axle looks fine the second line i am not too happy. Also, the whole time i am thinking i hope i dont have to drop the axle (too extreme) or a second lin fails after all that.

Car is running again.

Short story:
Brake line failed took me six hours, two lines, and learned how to flare on the fly. All sucked except the bending. Overall, bleed the brakes three times throughout the whole ordeal and the car is running. The only upside is i got to hang out with son all day.

/rant

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
I actually don't mind doing brake lines. Especially with the hyd. flaring tool (expensive as hell but well worth it). It makes any type of flare you can think of for any size line. Actually makes it enjoyable. I always got nominated to do brake lines at the shop I worked at because I did the "neatest" job.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have driven ten miles home using gears and emergency brake. Not a big issue. Allow a lot of distance between cars and gauge stop lights to hit them green. Wouldn't want to have to emergency stop using the E brake, though, and the cable might be rusted and/or worn so using it repeatedly could cause it to fail. Proceed with caution...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I actually don't mind doing brake lines. Especially with the hyd. flaring tool (expensive as hell but well worth it). It makes any type of flare you can think of for any size line. Actually makes it enjoyable. I always got nominated to do brake lines at the shop I worked at because I did the "neatest" job.

Translation: "We don't want to bend brake lines so... "You're so good at it. You do them."" :smile:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info