Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
vgcyirs9m0gtr033d97t.jpg

ojt9slxrogsnjhk9ojvr.jpg

rzezxdeadx5ymoxov4ww.jpg

q3uds16k944fgncnnezf.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-medi...ogressive,q_80,w_800/zxqrqjdgfqsvlqosvqwx.jpg

There’s a new Lincoln Aviator coming and it’s a more interesting vehicle than you’d think. The outside says Range Rover, the inside says Mercedes and under the skin is a new rear-wheel drive unibody we haven’t seen yet.

This is a weird moment in time as every major car company that wasn’t selling a crossover is finally getting on the wave, and every car company that was is now doubling down with more crossover models. VW finally has the Atlas out and is getting more there. Cadillac had the SRX/XT5 and is now backing it up with the XT4. Now Lincoln, with the smaller MKX and the bigger Navigator, is slotting the Aviator back in the middle.

The interior is the good part, though. Honestly, there’s a lot here that looks like the Mercedes S-Class I was last in. That’s... fine? That’s fine. These speaker grilles and seat controls look right out of a Benz, as do the wide center controls.

Lincoln is showing this Aviator concept as a plug-in hybrid, which is a nice gesture but feels kind of weak in this day of electric SUVs. Lincoln also says that you can unlock the car with your phone. As someone who spends too much time on my phone, this is the devil’s work. I trust nothing with regards to my phone and security. Also I don’t want to ever fiddle with my phone to get things in my car to work. Some things are nicer in analog.

In any case, I do look forward to seeing these things clog upper-class driveways in neighborhoods where a Velar would be seen as too ostentatious.

https://jalopnik.com/the-lincoln-aviator-looks-surprisingly-good-for-a-three-1824139022

not-bad-obama.jpg

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Jalopnik sucks. Why bother to emphasize that it can be unlocked via phone? I can do that with my poverty Escape and many other cars have that feature now. It works fine, plus it still uses a key fob. If anything the only time I use my phone is for remote start or to lock the doors from a distance if I think I forgot when I walked away.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Jalopnik sucks. Why bother to emphasize that it can be unlocked via phone? I can do that with my poverty Escape and many other cars have that feature now. It works fine, plus it still uses a key fob. If anything the only time I use my phone is for remote start or to lock the doors from a distance if I think I forgot when I walked away.

I don't think they properly understood what the feature was. I believe it will be like Tesla's where it replaces a smart key fob. So walk up, pull the handle and the car will unlock. Hit the button on the outside, and it will lock. All with your phone and no fob, likely through Bluetooth.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Man who the fuck came up with this thead title?

It should have been the Cadillac is in trouble again.

Or something along the sorts. This should steal Acadia, Traverse, and Durango buyers.

Keep laughing slowly but surely Lincoln will be inching up in the SUV world.

I was waiting for this shit...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I don't think they properly understood what the feature was. I believe it will be like Tesla's where it replaces a smart key fob. So walk up, pull the handle and the car will unlock. Hit the button on the outside, and it will lock. All with your phone and no fob, likely through Bluetooth.

Most cars today have that feature. the '15 family truckster does that. My ~12 y/o Cadillac does that. It's proximity sensing. Neither have the mobile app shit, but as far as the fobbing goes.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Now we can speculate on engines!!!

Where's [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION]

I'm saying the 2.7T is the base and the 3.0T is the optional. I don't think they'll put the 3.5T in this...if it's Explorer sized.

Also doubt the 3.5 goes in this. I'm betting the 3.0 twin turbo v6, just like the new Explorer will get.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Now we can speculate on engines!!!

Where's [MENTION=5001]Ryan02Stang[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1938]jason05gt[/MENTION]

I'm saying the 2.7T is the base and the 3.0T is the optional. I don't think they'll put the 3.5T in this...if it's Explorer sized.

2.7 and 3.0T would make sense because they are within the same family. I'm assuming both might get a power bump like the Edge ST for example.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Most cars today have that feature. the '15 family truckster does that. My ~12 y/o Cadillac does that. It's proximity sensing. Neither have the mobile app shit, but as far as the fobbing goes.

I see it's still not registering what the feature is :rofl:

Imagine having no physical key fob at all. It all works through your phone. Where are the Tesla nerds?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info