Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
In a new ZR1...and didnt "just" do it, it was earlier this month.

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Sets VIR Lap Record - ZR1 Beats Ford GT at VIR

https://youtu.be/j7j1gCM6-5M

Just last week we told you a Ford GT set a new lap record for production cars around Virginia International Raceway's Grand Course West layout. Now, that record has been broken by the new Corvette ZR1.

Chevrolet announced today it was able to lap a 2019 ZR1 equipped with the optional eight-speed auto and ZTK performance package around VIR in 2:37.25. That's 1.37 seconds quicker than the Ford GT's time, making the ZR1 the fastest production vehicle to ever lap the course.

Aside from a harness bar and five-point harnesses, Chevy says the ZR1 used was totally stock, set up with alignment and aero settings specified in the owner's manual. The $2,995 ZTK package gives the car a whole bunch of aggressive features, including an adjustable carbon fiber wing, a front splitter, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and track-ready magnetic ride control. The lap was set during validation testing earlier in January leading up to the car's production.

The driver, vehicle dynamics engineer Jim Mero, is known for his mastery of the Nurburgring behind the wheel of Chevy products. If anyone was going to break the record, it would be him. Chevy was keen to note that Mero is an engineer, not a pro-driver, which was definitely a dig at Ford, which set the record using Ford GT race driver Billy Johnson.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The GT needs more engine. I mean, I know they want to grow the EcoBoost brand and it's what they use to dominate in endurance racing, but they are reaching the limits of that motor...The Ford GT's production engine is based heavily on the IMSA version rather than the Raptor.

To me, the GT needed a special/one-off engine from the outset. Twin-Turbo Voodoo to even keep pace.

I don't think Ford will have an answer to the ZR1 for at least another decade, unless they are secretly coming out with an altered version of the current GT in secret (which is possible considering the entire GT development was done completely under wraps)

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Definitely better looking, with a real race car sound.
b21b9ff71437485c1cd1e2f1fd637be4.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info