Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
But not as the Toyota Supra.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/01/13/toyota-supra-gazoo-racing-geneva-motor-show/

The 2018*Geneva Motor Show, two months hence, will serve to intoduce the production*Toyota Supra*into the world. Rather, not the*Toyota*Supra, but the Gazoo Racing Supra; Toyota's new hi-po sportscar will retail under Gazoo Racing branding,*after Toyota knighted Gazoo*as the automaker's performance arm last year. According to*Auto*Express, the Supra will come in four trims: Supra, Supra GR, Supra GR Sport, and Supra GRMN (GRMN stands for Gazoo Racing tuned by Meisters of the NĂĽrburgring). The report says a "significant gap in performance and price" and different suspension tunes are likely from bottom to top.

Last year, a leaked document*made Supra watchers suspect three*BMW-derived engines would serve the four-trim Supra range: the*BMW*20i, 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder; the more powerful BMW 30i, 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder; and the BMW 40i, 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder. Commenters suspected that only the two most powerful engines would come to the U.S.

The latest intel, however, says that all versions will come with an inline six-cylinder engine sending all its grunt to the back wheels. That would align with statements from Gazoo Racing president Shigeki Tomoyama, who said, "The*new car*has to appeal to the existing owners first. The old cars had a straight-six engine, twin turbos and rear-wheel drive; the new car must have the same philosophy." The known benchmarks for the Supra, the*BMW M3*and*M4, and*Porsche 911, lend more credence to the idea of six-cylinder exclusivity.

All-wheel drive and*a hybrid powertrain might appeardown the road, but it looks like*a manual transmission will not. We're in the dark on the weight - many seem hopeful that the hardtop-only coupe will come in under 3,300 pounds - but we've been promised 50/50 weight distribution. A thorough*aftermarket*parts program is already in the works. There'll be a lengthy span between reveal and retail purchases, though – Supra deliveries might not begin until 2019.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm actually SUPER enticed by this; I like the design language,
I like the idea of buying something unique, Toyota Build Quality and reliably are nearly unmatched, and I'm a huge fan of the FRS, but would want significantly more power to step away from the Mustang.

Reading the article I'm stoked, I then hit this:

All-wheel drive and*a hybrid powertrain might appeardown the road, but it looks like*a manual transmission will not. We're in the dark on the weight - many seem hopeful that the hardtop-only coupe will come in under 3,300 pounds - but we've been promised 50/50 weight distribution. A thorough*aftermarket*parts program is already in the works. There'll be a lengthy span between reveal and retail purchases, though – Supra deliveries might not begin until 2019.

but it looks like*a manual transmission will not.

but it looks like*a manual transmission will not.

:dnc:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Some how this will get fucked up. And be over weight or under powered prolly both.

Id just be happy to see something about the weight and power of a Camaro or Mustang. The import crowd doesnt really have anything.
Japanese car companies are just not making much that would be considered competitive to current american sports cars. 370 was outdated 5 years ago. Gtr is still nice but has barely changed, brz/frs/miata dont fit the american ideal for a sports car. Nsx is too expensive, Civic Type R is really the only hot hatch to come out of japan. Toyota has there lexus f series cars and that is about it to me. Too many bean counters.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
400 hp AWD does sound enticing for ND winters too. Mag ride and twin turbo :dunno: how bad could it be? Or better yet how GOOD could it be? infiniti-q60s.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I forgot about the Infiniti Q60S coupes.

Id rock one of them in the AWD twin turbo version. Its like a baby GTR. The reviews are surprisingly good too. The thing is I just dont trust Infiniti and it would cost an arm and a leg to mod and up keep too.

Infiniti’s are actually pretty cheap to maintain because they are Nissans. My G37 is awesome on maintenance.

The Q50 turbos are cheap to mod. For $500 you can get a JB4 and add a good amount of power.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Infiniti’s are actually pretty cheap to maintain because they are Nissans. My G37 is awesome on maintenance.

The Q50 turbos are cheap to mod. For $500 you can get a JB4 and add a good amount of power.

We should see if [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] can help shed some light on Failfin....Infinity maintenance.

:io:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

I sat in one at the dealership. Great looking car and a very nice interior. I've had newer Q's as loaners and my biggest gripe (along with the auto media) is the dual touch screens. It's stupid and uses an old infotainment setup (without CarPlay). The new QX50 which just launched is getting negative marks for the same setup.

The VR motor is supposed to be awesome. I wanted to test drive one, but I had my son with me last time I was getting an oil change.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info