Ford Trucks Should Be Called Super Dirty According to Emissions Lawsuit

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Ford truck owners are claiming Ford has been doing the same thing VW was and cheating on emissions tests. Half a million vehicles involved. Bosch is named as co defendant.

Ford Motor Co. rigged at least 500,000 heavy-duty trucks to beat emissions tests, drivers claimed in a lawsuit, adding to the tally of carmakers linked to diesel-cheating allegations worldwide that started in 2015 with Volkswagen AG.

Ford’s F-250 and F-350 Super Duty diesel pickups, a slice of the top-selling F-Series, are spewing emissions as much as 50 times the legal limit for nitrogen oxide pollutants, according to the complaint. The trucks sold from 2011 to 2017 cost $8,400 more than their gasoline-fueled counterparts, the filing shows.

“All Ford vehicles, including those with diesel engines, comply with all U.S. EPA and CARB emissions regulations,” Daniel Barbosa, a spokesman for Ford, said in an emailed statement. “Ford vehicles do not have defeat devices. We will defend ourselves against these baseless claims.”

Ford marketed the trucks as “the cleanest super diesel ever,” while the lawyer behind the suit said they should have been called “Super Dirty.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ck-owners-claiming-diesel-engines-were-rigged

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm curious to know what their testing procedures were and what vehicle and ambient conditions were. One of the big issues with DEF is freezing. I know some systems will stop injecting DEF at certain temperature conditions, to allow the DEF to thaw. It's pretty much a 2/3 mix of water and 1/3 urea, so freezing has been a challenge for all diesel manufacturers.

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I work for a heavy duty truck manufacture and we went thought the same type of lawsuits in early 2010-2011.

Most of the systems without DEF are the target for the lawsuits. There shouldn't be an issue with any diesel injecting DEF. As far as freezing concerns, all systems either run coolant into the DEF tank or have a electrical heating element inside the tank.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I work for a heavy duty truck manufacture and we went thought the same type of lawsuits in early 2010-2011.

Most of the systems without DEF are the target for the lawsuits. There shouldn't be an issue with any diesel injecting DEF. As far as freezing concerns, all systems either run coolant into the DEF tank or have a electrical heating element inside the tank.

sometimes this helps. :rofl:

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich

I think you mightve said but where at again?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt

I worked for an industrial engine and equipment manufacturer for a few years. I think freezing was probably more of an issue on that side, vs on road because equipment would sometimes sit for a couple days at a time before being used again, vs a truck that shuts down for only a few hours. I remember a need to allow for thawing time after first startup. If I remember correctly, the EPA recognized cold weather difficulties and allowed some time for DEF to thaw before it starts injecting.

GG Allin

Addict
Feb 27, 2012
ORD

Big diesel trucks from '08 to early '11 are the ones to avoid. These are the ones that ran DPF's but no DEF.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
No trucks ran with PDF and DEF. DEF is needed for SCR.

On road trucks for the most part added Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) in 2007 to reduce soot (black smoke). This is when Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel started (>15 ppm)

Then in 2010, NOx standards came into play. Most manufactures went with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) which requires the use of a Urea solution, which is commonly called "Diesel Exhaust Fluid" or DEF.

Navistar believe that the use of DEF violated the EPA guidelines and tried EGR to lower NOx. It didn't work and the EPA fined them. Then they sued the EPA and eventually the two settled.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
True, the early ones had DPF, no DEF/SCR. The new ones with DEF & SCR also have DPF's though.

This!

Some of the new systems do have DPFs on top of SCR. Or I've seen additional "cleanup cats" downstream after the SCR. The science behind these systems is crazy. I've got a textbook on it from an Engineering grad class I took. It's not an easy read. Pages upon pages of chemistry equations and proofs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info