Ford Unveils Even Grippier Performance Pack For The 2018 Mustang GT

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Ford said in July that the 2018 Ford Mustang GT would come with an optional Performance Pack that would include things like a bigger radiator, summer tires, and upgraded brakes. Today, the company unveiled the Performance Pack Level 2, an upgrade on the upgrade which they said would “bridge the gap” between the first Performance Pack and the GT350, the most powerful version.

The Performance Pack Level 2 was developed in secret, Ford said, and will include 19-inch Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, a beefed up suspension, retuned steering, a lower stance for the car, and a custom-made rear spoiler and front splitter.

The pack will also include all of the features of the Performance Pack Level 1, like the Brembo brakes with larger rotors, in addition to stability control, steering, and chassis enhancements. The main upgrade with the Performance Pack 2 appears to be the wider-diameter wheels, a full 1.5 inches wider than those that come with the Performance Pack 1, in addition to the car’s lower stance.

More on the process behind the improvements, from Ford:
Using the splitter from the famed Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca as a benchmark, Mustang engineers attached the piece to the underside of the front to fan out as much as 3 inches around the corners of the Mustang GT. It creates about 24 pounds of downforce at 80 mph, helping give the car its exceptional grip. To balance the downforce, a subtle, redesigned rear spoiler stretches across the decklid.

To assist in the team’s innovative approach to creating the new Performance Pack, parts such as the rear spoiler were rapid-prototyped using a 3D printer. The process enabled faster turnaround times, complementing the trial-and-error nature of the project.

The only visual cues on a car outfitted with the new Performance Pack Level 2 are black detailing on the splitter and spoiler, the tire spat on the back edge of the rear wheel wells and the 10-spoke Dark Tarnish wheels, which are exclusive. Customers who opt for Performance Pack Level 2 have a unique opportunity to select Recaro® seats in either leather or cloth to help stay firmly planted while cornering.

The package will add $6,500 to the cost of a Mustang GT fastback manual, the only model for which the package is available. (The GT fastback manual starts at $35,095.) Delivery of the new GTs isn’t until sometime next spring, though you can put in orders now.

kbrbcn6eykmzeimo6vnm.jpg

ob5ci2dlnndo6k7i6zls.jpg

iwsy0vhxwdigmneetcdn.jpg

cly63seodpqqov24mteo.jpg

dpxirxqzwuh1xq9hcb51.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Add $10k more if you want all the bells and whistles. I built a $50k one with the PP, auto and some other bits. That was before this new PP2 option.

The Magneride requires 301A on the standard GT, which gives you a bunch of bells and whistles (Sync 3, dual zone HVAC, etc.), add $1600 for the 10-speed. Get the premium and 400A, PP, and Magneride (which doesn't require 401A) you're at around $46K. Add 401A and you're basically at $49K.

Damn expensive "pony" cars...but then again, they are relative performance bargains still

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
BBK comes with the PP.1. So PP.2 comes with more lower, splitter and tires (best improvement?) for $6500. Not sure I agree that the 6.5k is "worth" it. If it had the GT350 brakes and/or mag ride, then I'd say it is a great deal.
I thought they said pp.1 was included in pp.2. I am not the biggest mustang guy so was the pp.1 free?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
The Magneride requires 301A on the standard GT, which gives you a bunch of bells and whistles (Sync 3, dual zone HVAC, etc.), add $1600 for the 10-speed. Get the premium and 400A, PP, and Magneride (which doesn't require 401A) you're at around $46K. Add 401A and you're basically at $49K.

Damn expensive "pony" cars...but then again, they are relative performance bargains still

Thats what Im saying. Build a loaded GT and its already almost $50k. Then add this PP2 to it and you are well on your way to a GT350. At least a fully loaded 1SS 1LE was around $46k. And they whore them out. The next step would be a base $60k ZL1. Not looking good.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Thats what Im saying. Build a loaded GT and its already almost $50k. Then add this PP2 to it and you are well on your way to a GT350. At least a fully loaded 1SS 1LE was around $46k. And they whore them out. The next step would be a base $60k ZL1. Not looking good.

Damn, fully loaded 1LE is $46K? That's a fucking deal in comparison. Does the 1LE use the Magneride or standard coil and dampers?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I thought they said pp.1 was included in pp.2. I am not the biggest mustang guy so was the pp.1 free?

I was thinking you had to get PP.1 and PP.2. But I could be wrong. I guess we will see when it is added to the "build your own" option on the website. PP.1 is like $4k on it's own. So if you just pay for pp.2 @ 6.5K then that isn't so bad.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Damn, fully loaded 1LE is $46K? That's a fucking deal in comparison. Does the 1LE use the Magneride or standard coil and dampers?

Magride. Also has the e-diff like the ZL1. Its quite the package if you like that kind of car. I had one for a few months. Was too sharp to DD for me. The suede recaros are awesome looking, but way too narrow for bigger guys.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Magride. Also has the e-diff like the ZL1. Its quite the package if you like that kind of car. I had one for a few months. Was too sharp to DD for me. The suede recaros are awesome looking, but way too narrow for bigger guys.

Fuck...I'm a Ford guy through and through, but the new Camaro's chassis and engine are making it so hard to defend or back the Mustang :rofl:

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
"The pack will also include all of the features of the Performance Pack Level 1, like the Brembo brakes with larger rotors, in addition to stability control, steering, and chassis enhancements. The main upgrade with the Performance Pack 2 appears to be the wider-diameter wheels, a full 1.5 inches wider than those that come with the Performance Pack 1, in addition to the car’s lower stance."

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
MotorTrend said:
Perf Pack Level 2 is a $6,500 package available only on Mustang GT fastback manual cars. If ordered on a base GT, you must also opt for the $2,000 Equipment Group 301A—dual climate control and Sync 3 AM/FM/CD...

So you pay $6.5K for the whole package. But must add the $2K interior package. Which does not include the Recaro seats. Those are additional.

I went to Ford's site to build a car. It seems Ford split up the options more. Which is nice. You can get the car set up more the way you like it. Besides packages that require other packages.

2018 Ford Mustang Performance Pack Level 2 First Look: Passion Play - Motor Trend

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Man some people are bipolar as fuck on this site........

Geee seems to me not too long ago people on TCG were like ohh hey the mandatory marked up package options were great on the GT350 when they jacked the price and people swallowed it with a smile.

Now look whats going on people are bitching all over the forums saying the 2018s are 50k on up.

:iorofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Man some people are bipolar as fuck on this site........

Geee seems to me not too long ago people on TCG were like ohh hey the mandatory marked up package options were great on the GT350 when they jacked the price and people swallowed it with a smile.

Now look whats going on people are bitching all over the forums saying the 2018s are 50k on up.

:iorofl:

Noone complained about option pricing on the GT350. The big issue you had was the ADM. You were the one who was all worked up about that.

I admit I thought you needed the PP.1 to get the PP.2. Since you just purchase the PP.2, and the mandatory interior upgrade, the price tag isn't bad. The tires are way better and costly. The PP.2 wheels look better as well. Hopefully they are forged and lighter too boot.

I can see that they would want to make the car cost between the GT and GT350. So adding the GT350 brake to this option would just add to the cost of the car. To the point you will see it get close to GT350 prices. Plus the bigger brakes add weight and expense to upkeep due to expensive pads & rotors.

It would be cool to see options for the PP.2 to lighten it up more. Maybe a PP.2R option to include a rear seat delete, GT350 lightweight hubs, aluminum center two piece rotor for the PP Brembo brakes, and so on. That could be a cool option for track rats.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info