Corvette totaled by a small rock in the road.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
a lot of insurance company's have standards which they will repair a vehicle to.

(thankfully)

i think one of stf's is that they will not weld a frame or structural part... (thankfully)

This happened to a sport bike I had back in the day. Long story short, the bike was knocked over at the dealer while in service. Broke a small plastic piece on the side of the bike, and put a nice ding/scratch in the frame. It was something you could touch up with a sharpie (black frame). But the dealer insisted that I put it through my insurance to release them of liability if anything else happened to the bike. So I did. Statefarm totalled it/dealer paid deductible. The cost of replacing the frame plus the labor to literally rebuild the bike on the new frame was more than it was worth. This was a 6 month old sport bike with maybe 2k miles. So they cut me a check and I got a new one.

Weird things happen sometimes with insurance companies.

Then you get the instances where cars are straight up wrecked, and insurance companies will rebuild them vs just totaling them out. [MENTION=2616]Chester Copperpot[/MENTION] remember your smurf? That car needed to be put to bed.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am far from an expert, but that looks totally repairable by a competent welder or fabricator. A person with some skills could probably get a great deal on this car and not have much out of pocket. GM and the insurance company likely didn't want liability hanging over their heads if the repair fails.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I always thought they were required to make parts for any production car for 10 years? It seems odd that this part would be out of production and completely unavailable. This would be a great candidate for someone to steel the same part off a donor car though.

A lot of people don't understand the trivial reasons cars are salvaged. If you look at the comments in the Jalopnik article you'll see someone posts a picture of a Tesla with really minor quarter panel damage and damage to one door. $34,000 worth of work and the car was totalled.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info