Mazda HCCI (Gas engine runs like a deeezul)

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/0...ng-awaited-breakthrough-in-engine-technology/

Also rumors they will use this on the rotaries to make them more efficient. BRAP!

Fresh on the heels of last week's tie-up with Toyota, Mazda announced on Tuesday that it has finally made a breakthrough in gasoline engine technology. Mazda is calling it Skyactive-X; we know it better as homogeneous charge compression ignition, or HCCI. It should mean a 20- to 30-percent boost in efficiency compared to Mazda's current gasoline direct-injection engines, and we may well see it in the next revision to the Mazda 3.

FURTHER READING
The road ahead: How we’ll get to 54.5 mpg by 2025
HCCI engines have been one of those "if only" technologies for some time now. Kyle Niemeyer first covered the idea back in 2012 for Ars as part of a deep dive into new engine tech that could help meet looming efficiency requirements for automakers.

In essence, HCCI is an attempt to run a gasoline engine like a diesel instead. Rather than squirt fuel into a cylinder—done directly, at high pressure, in the case of Mazda's current gasoline engines—then ignite it with a spark, the fuel and air are well-mixed and then compressed to achieve the bang in suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Because the fuel and air are so well-mixed, combustion should happen simultaneously at multiple points within the cylinder's volume, burning more evenly, at a lower temperature, with fewer particulates or nitrogen oxides in the exhaust than a normal spark-ignited gasoline engine or a diesel engine. Making it work is apparently much harder than describing it; at various times, General Motors, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Honda, and Bosch have all tried their hand at the technology to little avail.

But Mazda is nothing if not stubborn when it comes to eclectic engine technologies; after all, it bravely persevered with the rotary engine for decades. In January, there were signs that it had made real progress with HCCI, and today we have the confirmation as part of a broader announcement from Mazda about its new long-term sustainability plan. Another element of the plan—given the catchy title "Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030"—is to start introducing EVs and hybrids "in regions that use a high ratio of clean energy for power generation or restrict certain vehicles to reduce air pollution."

This engine still has spark plugs!

The new HCCI engines will still use the good-old spark plug; for some operating conditions, it's better to run it as a conventional spark-ignition engine. Mazda says it has perfected the control issues that let the engine know when to transition between spark ignition and when things can be leaned-out enough to use HCCI, and it's calling it "spark controlled compression ignition."

The engines will also be supercharged, so they will be torquier than the current Mazda gasoline-powered engine range, and they'll be cleaner and more efficient. (Mazda's press release says that, volume for volume, they should be comparable to its current turbodiesel range in that regard.)

Reuters reports that Mazda also plans to keep HCCI to itself, although we wonder if that applies to its new best friend Toyota.

We know there is a vocal population who would like to see OEMs like Mazda give up development of new internal combustion engine technology altogether, focusing instead on fully switching over to battery electric vehicles. These days, national governments are throwing out dates like 2030 and 2040 for banning new fossil-fueled vehicles from sale.

But 2040 is a ways off, and if William Gibson has taught us anything, it's that the future is not evenly distributed. Certainly in the mid-term, there will be a use for hydrocarbon-fueled vehicles, particularly outside of dense urban corridors where average journeys are shorter and recharging infrastructure is thicker on the ground. So anything that makes those vehicles cleaner and more efficient ought to be viewed as a good thing.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
yeah i dont get why it got a second "bump" as of lately.

ridiculously badass nonetheless. i hope it works out.

I think then they said they could do it, Seems like they made an announcement this past tuesday that they are putting it in production cars officially.

Supercharged, HCCI skyactiv motors with comparable power to the turbo diesal skyactiv... maybe in a miata ;) Yes please.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Interesting technology with some substantial claims. I've said this before, but the internal combustion engine still has a lot of life left.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/08/08/mazda-gasoline-engine-brekathrough/549234001/

"The automaker said its goal is to slash emissions emanating from its production and products to 50% of 2010 levels by 2030 and 90% by 2050."

"With the upgraded engines, a Mazda model that currently gets 30 miles per gallon could get nearly 40 miles per gallon in its next iteration, potentially saving owners at least several dollars per fillup on a 15-gallon tank of gasoline."

torquelover

TCG Elite Member
Jun 4, 2013
what kind of mileage are you seeing?

33-35 city, 37-42 highway.

We just finished a 600 mile trip, mostly highway, where we had to take both cars. My 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion averaged 26, the 6 averaged 38.

Not apples to apples with the Fusion being AWD and boosted but still same class vehicle.

We run 91 octane non-ethanol in both cars.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Run 87 in the skyactiv it doesn't care one bit about high octane unless you have it tuned for it.

Mine is 30mpg in my mazda3 and that includes 2 track days and mostly city driving with my foot to the floor most of the time on sticky wide track tires.

On my winter tires mostly highway I get 37-38 on long trips

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info