Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2018 Ford Mustang GT has more horsepower than Chevy Camaro SS - Autoblog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpErtgc9svg

Ford has finally announced the power and torque figures for the 2018 Mustang lineup, and both the V8-powered GT and four-cylinder-powered EcoBoost models benefit from some big increases. Most impressive is the GT, which now produces an extra 25 horsepower and 20 pound-feet of torque to bring it to 460 horsepower and 420 pound-feet total. That puts the GT ahead of the Camaro SS by 5 horsepower, though it still trails the bow-tie-branded pony car by 35 pound-feet of torque.

Still, the Mustang GT isn't slow. In fact, Ford claims that it will do a 0-60 mph sprint in under 4 seconds, which just beats the Camaro SS, for which Chevy claims a 4-second flat time to 60. There are a couple of prerequisites for the Mustang GT to hit that time, though. It has to be equipped with both the 10-speed automatic and the performance package. The automatic allows the Mustang to use the special "Drag Mode" driving mode for the fastest shifting and maximum torque delivery. The performance package provides the car with the stickier Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires.

The Mustang EcoBoost also sees increased performance for 2018. Torque increases from 320 to 350 pound-feet, though horsepower remains the same at 310. That means the Mustang EcoBoost is down 25 horsepower to the V6 Camaro, but has a whopping 66 more pound-feet of torque. Just like with the GT, the Mustang EcoBoost manages its best 0-60 time with the 10-speed auto and the performance package. Equipped as such, it will get to 60 in less than 5 seconds, also just beating the Camaro V6's best claimed time of 5.1 seconds.

Ford says the 2018 Mustang will be arriving at dealers this fall. The online configuration tool will also go live tomorrow, and will allow people to spec their perfect Mustang. It will also show pricing for the new pony car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Somebody posted a data sheet on Facebook and there's supposed to be a 680hp SC 5.0 . Maybe a new gt500 ?

A magazine spilled the beans or was making assumptions. Until Ford releases numbers, I wouldn't take anything too serious. Escially since Ford is saying 460/420 where the article says 450/410 for the GT.

2358601bc28597b435127bc22eaf9936.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I thought Ford would have to bump up the power to stay close to the SS. I had no idea the bump would have been that much. Good for them!

EDIT: Oh, it's unofficial then. I didn't check the source.

The 460 hp for the GT is correct. That video is on "Ford Media" channel on Youtube.

I was commenting on the 680 hp supercharged comment.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
A magazine spilled the beans or was making assumptions. Until Ford releases numbers, I wouldn't take anything too serious. Escially since Ford is saying 460/420 where the article says 450/410 for the GT.

2358601bc28597b435127bc22eaf9936.jpg

And it'll go in the Raptor too since it's no longer SVT but Ford Racing.

Bet.

Then I'll buy a 2018/19 Raptor with the V8 and laugh at all the dudes who bought a truck that sounds worse than a 3800.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Yes, a slight part of that is due to higher compression and direct injection. Tuning probably makes up for most of it. Aftermarket tunes will probably add less and less power from here on out.

With the higher compression and direct injection, will there be a tuning learning curve again? Also with the higher compression, how will adding a power added be affected?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It wasn't a big bump in compression from what I remember. One point I believe. One point of compression is probably good for what 10-15 hp & tq?

The 2011-14 cars picked up a lot with a tune. Including a lot down low. Even the safe FRPP tune picked up a lot of torque. Especially down low. They said like 60 ft/lbs. That was mainly cam timing adjustments with some fueling and ignition timing bump. Aftermarket tune picked up slightly more up top.

The 2015+ cars picked up less with tunes. Probably because Ford changed the tune to look more like the FRPP tune. The gains from stock to an aftermarket tune are there. But nowhere like the 2011-14 picked up.

I bet the 2018 cars will probably have a good tune. But they will probably have some room to make more power with a tune. With some room to improve those numbers year to year. Sure, there may be some benefits to an aftermarket tune there. I just think the return on investment will be less and less. I bet adding more and more compression is where the motor will see gains from. How high will be the question? That being said, I hope there is room in the fuel system for e85 upgrades.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
At what point does it become an issue for people going FI? I thought high compression motors weren't good candidates for FI.

This is what I always thought.

Higher compression does pose issues with boosted applications. The direct injection helps with that, but the dynamic compression will be pretty high with any good amount of boost. Time will tell what tuners can make happen with blowers and turbos.

We will have to see as I have been keeping an eye on Roush to see what they were going to offer for the 2018. I hope they release some info and that it will carry over to the Phase 1 and 2 builds Ford dealers do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info