Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

The current Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is a supercharged monster, a 650 horsepower nightmare aimed at dominating the track in a way that shames Hellcats and Porsches alike. But it has a well-documented problem with overheating. Now Z06 owners have filed a class-action lawsuit against General Motors today, alleging that GM’s top-tier trackrat doesn’t deliver the performance they were promised.

Article preview thumbnail
Why The Corvette Z06 Flunked Motor Trend's Big Performance Car Test

The new 650 horsepower Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is a fucking amazing car, but it’s had its share of…

Read more
The lawsuit claims that a cooling system defect can put the 2015-2017 Z06 into “limp mode” after only 15 minutes of track use. Fifteen minutes! Not much of a track day.

“Limp mode” drastically reduces the car’s power and speed. A sudden loss of power can create a dangerous situation on track, as speeding traffic around a limping car may not expect that car to slow down, the lawsuit said.

Given that most track day sessions last longer than 15 minutes, this can be a major problem when you can’t get all of the track time you paid for as well.

The suit, filed today by perpetually automaker-suing firm Hagens Berman, claims the Z06 can go into limp mode on public roads, so it’s not a problem limited to owners who use their Z06 on track. The cooling system defect allegedly warps vital engine components due to the high temperatures, causing further headaches over costly repairs.

We reached out to GM for comment but have not heard back yet; this post will be updated if that happens.

The suit has been filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, and it alleges that GM knew of the issue yet failed to disclose it and ensure that owners could operate their cars safely.

Steve Berman, managing partner of the firm, explained in a statement that owners are suing over GM’s “bait and switch” regarding how the Z06 was marketed and sold as a car built for track use:

We believe we’ve found GM to be guilty of a classic bait and switch – one that cost thousands of consumers dearly, up to $120,000, and broke state consumer protection laws. GM enticed race enthusiasts with bells and whistles, promising a car that could maintain safe speeds and power when tracked, but we believe what it sold them was far from what it promised. This defect not only damages the Z06 engine, but endangers drivers.

The defect in question markedly limits the car’s performance – the sole reason these hotrod enthusiasts bought the Corvette Z06 in the first place. If they’d known of this defect at the time of purchase, they likely wouldn’t have spent six figures on the Z06.
The lawsuit claims that GM violated state and federal laws, and has brought counts of breach of warranty, fradulent concealment, unjust enrichment and other claims against the company. It seeks monetary damages for affected owners, included for the diminished value of the car now that many people associate the Z06 with overheating problems on track.

Attorneys estimate that over 30,000 2015-2017 model year Corvette Z06s are affected by this defect, and have asked owners of cars that may be affected to contact the firm with any questions related to the alleged defect or the class-action lawsuit itself.

The Z06s’s engine cooling issues are well-known at this point. A heat-soaked Z06 was quickly eliminated from contention in Motor Trend’s Best Driver’s Car test in 2015 after going into a similar limp mode on track with test driver Randy Pobst behind the wheel.

GM, however, maintained that the car Motor Trend got for their test went into limp mode due to a servicing oversight; yet it was far from the only mechanical issue we’ve heard from journalists or owners about the current-generation Z06.

The 2017 Z06 received several upgrades to its cooling system as a result of problems reported with the car, however, this year’s model is also listed in the list of affected cars in the class-action lawsuit.

You can view the full text of the class-action lawsuit below.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Can you admittedly say you're beating on your car and it overheats? I swear they all claim that's voiding your warranty, won't they just do that and tell them to fuck off?

I do get a bit of both, but I think cars like the Z06, and other performance cars that are touted by all the track numbers SHOULD be track ready in stock trim.

I could totally understand it if you upped the boost and it started overheating, but a stock car like the Z06 should live on track for 30 minute sessions all day long without issue.

Not saying endurance racing, but a HPDE shouldn't tax the cars cooling system.

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
it's that shitty small 1.7L supercharger . GM put the same size 1.7L supercharger on LT4 engines in 2015 as Ford did in 2003 . New GM 1.7 Eaton TVS is a little better design then old root style blower on 03-04 Cobra but still way too small . those LT4 engines don't perform well modded either. there was a new CTSV at US41 few weeks ago , car was making 750rwhp , it was running times like a 600rwhp car . That 680rwhp auto C7 Z06 at 1/2 mile didn't perform like 680rwhp car either. 680rwhp auto Z06 should have pulled few car lengths on 600-620whp GTR not other way around .
They are great cars but GM fucked up by using such of small supercharger. they react to temperature like crazy

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
giphy.gif

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
[MENTION=11218]lastls1[/MENTION] would say otherwise :rofl: all day long

"Denied"

Vettes are usually easy to prove. If the car is stock though no one cares. Go beat the hell out of it. Dealers normally bend over backwards for vette owners, especially if the car is stock. They don't want to piss off the owner unless it's a blatant mod.

I will agree though if there is a fix for this cooling issue GM should retro it for all cars.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Sounds like the gt350 cars (though maybe not happening as quickly). If you're advertising a car as track ready then it shouldn't go into limp mode in 5-20 minutes. If it wasn't then ehhhh. Can't say I've ever seen a gm ad for the z06 being a track ready car. I just see the stupid "these are real customers" crap on tv

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I was always under the impression those "track" cars were "track like" cars meant for the street. I am curious as to what the verbiage is in the description of the Z06 and GT350. I would be surprised if GM or even Ford stated plainly that these types of cars are track competition ready.
They have plenty of money to make sure things are worded just right. I had a friend of a friend who bought a brand new c6 z06, put a big brake kit on it and then ended up starving the engine in a sustained turn tracking it. He's a fairly successful racer (he's dong karting, spec racing, etc) and was super pissed. I believe gm denied his claim even though the car only had a single mod unrelated to the engine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info