Rumor: I-4 Turbo to Replace Pentastar V6, I6 Turbo to Replace 5.7 Hemi in FCA Lineup

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Rumor: I-4 Turbo to Replace Pentastar V-6, I-6 Turbo to Replace 5.7 Hemi in FCA Lineup

News: Updated: Engine recap

The last five to seven years have seen some major developments in truck and SUV powertrains, with eight, nine and 10-speed automatics going from the realm of exotic to mainstream, and forced-induction six-cylinders becoming accepted by the notoriously traditional full-size truck market. Well, if you thought the Ford EcoBoost V-6 in the F-150 was a mind-blowing game-changer, be prepared to have your mind blown again, if a report from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) enthusiast blog Allpar.com is true.

The site is claiming that the well-regarded Pentastar V-6 is headed into its golden years, and at best has another 6-10 years left in it before it’s replaced by a turbocharged I-4 across the FCA lineup. The I-4 engine, codenamed “GME” will displace approximately 2.4 liters, and will reportedly feature direct fuel injection, a close-coupled catalyst, a twin-scroll turbocharged, offset crankshaft, belt starter/generator (facilitating auto stop-start functionality), and a variable flow electric water pump. The high-tech engine will reportedly be offered in two stages of tune, one making between 240-260 horsepower, and a high-output version making around 300 horsepower, reportedly slated for the JL Wrangler, and possibly for the Ram 1500. Additional potential applications include the Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, and the next-generation Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, as well as the Pacifica minivan.

You may remember a few months ago when we reported that production of the 5.7L Hemi was being wound down, in parallel with the model cycle for the Ram 1500. In this latest update, Allpar claims the 5.7L Hemi will be replaced by a high-tech turbocharged I-6 engine, featuring many of the same features as the GME I-4. Exact displacement is unknown, but will likely be between 3.0 and 3.6 liters, with output of more than 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. What this means for the future of the Hemi V-8 is also unknown. The 6.4L and 6.2L supercharged Hemi engines will likely live on another 3–5 years in the SRT models, and the 6.4L V-8 will likely continue to be offered in the Ram HD models. However, the 5.7L’s days may be numbered in the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee. While we’re all for technology and progress, we have to admit we’ll be a little sad to see the curtains come down on the 5.7L Hemi. Will turbocharged, downsized power get Mopar enthusiasts just as excited? We may be about to find out in the near future.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I am on board for a turbo I6 in the Ram. Add in a little less weigh with some aluminum body panels. As long as it can tuned it will be awesome. I get a kick out of the dipshits on Ram FB groups that are all up in arms because they won't be able to put a flowmaster 80 series on the truck and rule the trailer park. I'm sure they would all take a holley double pumper over fuel injection if they could.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
If they do this in the vans, this will kill them...

I don't care how powerful it is, first, these vans weight 4,300 pounds or more. Second, I don't care for the NVH of a 4 banger, and I'm sure that most people with a family, that are buying this as a family vehicle, don't either.

The one thing I do like about the Pentastar V6 in our '15, much like the simple 3.8L V6 in our '07 is how quiet and smooth it is.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If they do this in the vans, this will kill them...

I don't care how powerful it is, first, these vans weight 4,300 pounds or more. Second, I don't care for the NVH of a 4 banger, and I'm sure that most people with a family, that are buying this as a family vehicle, don't either.

The one thing I do like about the Pentastar V6 in our '15, much like the simple 3.8L V6 in our '07 is how quiet and smooth it is.

no it won't.

aside from you, no one purchasing vans care what powers them.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
no it won't.

aside from you, no one purchasing vans care what powers them.

Bullshit. The first thing my wife asked when we bought the '15 is, "is this more powerful than the old van?" and she only looks as vehicles as appliances to get from point A to point B.

My M-I-L just bought their new '17 Sienna (perhaps you remember me posting that she got hit on 290 a month or two ago in her old Sienna), and the first thing she said when she brought it over, was that it seems "quicker" than the old one. This is a 65 y/o woman who putts along at or below the speed limit 99% of the time.

So yes, people do care.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Bullshit. The first thing my wife asked when we bought the '15 is, "is this more powerful than the old van?" and she only looks as vehicles as appliances to get from point A to point B.

My M-I-L just bought their new '17 Sienna (perhaps you remember me posting that she got hit on 290 a month or two ago in her old Sienna), and the first thing she said when she brought it over, was that it seems "quicker" than the old one. This is a 65 y/o woman who putts along at or below the speed limit 99% of the time.

So yes, people do care.

:rofl: you are far from target demographic for minivans

saying what your wife asked doesn't show a sample size.

not to mention, the turbo 4 cylinder will likely be more powerful anyways.. .confirming what she desired.

minivan segment doesn't have enthusiasts.

except like you... for whatever reason.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I really like the Pentastar engine. It's about the only thing I like about my 200. It makes good power and gets great fuel economy.

Chrysler is way too late to the party though. 5-6 years is too long to release engines on par with what Ford and GM are already doing.

I've noticed it does seem to have a flat spot at high rpm's though. Of course that could just be because it's lugging 4,300 pounds of van around too, but I know a few times when I've put the screws to it, I've hit that point on the tach and it's like "c'mon, let's keep going..." and it doesn't seem to want to.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
SpDtRW5MJLzbO.webp

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
:rofl: you are far from target demographic for minivans

saying what your wife asked doesn't show a sample size.

not to mention, the turbo 4 cylinder will likely be more powerful anyways.. .confirming what she desired.

minivan segment doesn't have enthusiasts.

except like you... for whatever reason.

Wait, I am far from the target demo?
- I'm a parent

- I have 2 kids who are active in everything under the sun

- I have a big dumb dog that goes with me where ever I go

- And I have a fancy for tools that work best for the job

Oh, and I have TWO of them... Got it

Just because I own them, doesn't mean I want to be stuck with a boat anchor either. And neither does my spouse.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wait, I am far from the target demo?
- I'm a parent

- I have 2 kids who are active in everything under the sun

- I have a big dumb dog that goes with me where ever I go

- And I have a fancy for tools that work best for the job

Oh, and I have TWO of them... Got it

Just because I own them, doesn't mean I want to be stuck with a boat anchor either. And neither does my spouse.

:rofl: still not representative whatsoever of the target demographic whether you yourself own one, two, or seven.

id be willing to be a large majority of minivan owners wouldn't know how many cylinders their minivan's have let alone what wheel drive it was.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
someone should send FCA an email to inform them that their new minivan's need hemi's.

OK, continue laughing at me, but when Dodge made a version of the Caravan called the "man-van" or "dad-van" whatever it was a couple years ago, many asked... "Where's the Hemi".

I won't lie, when we decided to keep the '07 after we bought the '15, my Son asked, when are we putting the V8 in?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info