Sports Cars Are Not Selling - It's YOUR Fault! - CONTINUATION VIDEO ADDED (#47)

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I disagree with the presumption sports cars are selling worse than other passenger cars. They're not. All are taking a hit with the shift to SUVs. They do make a valid point about what you consider a sports car, however, because cars like the Porsche 911, Boxster and Panamera are down, but Cayenne and Macan sales now make up 70-percent of Porsche sales, and you can obviously get those in powerful variants.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
There are interesting points in the video but he looked at sales figures for sporty cars in 2016 only. all car sales fluctuate regardless of the make and model year to year. Saying all sporty car sales have completely tanked because of a 5% drop over one year is silly. He should look at over the span of 10 years or more. Shit I bet lots of other car makes like sedans and vans have dropped more due to the SUV market becoming more popular as well.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I do feel like the hobby is much less popular than it was 15 years ago.

I used to go to cruise nights and parking lots would be overflowing. You would go to places like Streets of Woodfield or that McDonalds on Barrington and Irving Park....And hundreds of cars would come through on a night. Doesn't seem the same to me anymore.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
I think new sports cars are getting out of hand with the prices and HP. Its kinda hard to thing about buying a 16 yr old a 400HP+ musclecar for 38K. Especially with how society and social media is influencing them, pus all the dumbshit we as parents did, makes it very hard to do. Gas prices and the worry about the economy crashing again plays a big pary

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I agree with cost for sure. I'm too poor for a lot of the sports cars these days, new anyway. This isn't news though, is it? Adjusting for inflation, are items like halo Corvettes, Vipers, ///M, etc... any more expensive than they were 20ish years ago?

And a lot of these SUVs can shit all over some of the most apt sports cars from that period (performance wise), so not all SUVs are bad, although I'd rather stick with cars.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I do feel like the hobby is much less popular than it was 15 years ago.

I used to go to cruise nights and parking lots would be overflowing. You would go to places like Streets of Woodfield or that McDonalds on Barrington and Irving Park....And hundreds of cars would come through on a night. Doesn't seem the same to me anymore.

Because spots get shut down, moved, etc. I don't feel like the scene is much smaller than it was at least when I started going to car shit in '08

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Price is a huge factor. It feels like every cool or worthy sports car is well out of reach for the normal individual. At least to start (Brand New).

New Z06's with minor options are 100k, Vipers are expensive, german cars are expensive, Tesla's are 140k+ for the performance model, etc etc

And now we have the Demon, which will be 6 figures. If it isnt MSRP wise it will be with dealer markup due to hype.

I feel gone are the days of the high 20s low 30s bargain sports car.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
But you can get 1LE SS's, Scats, Coyotes.... all for relatively little, especially considering how they compare to the cars available one or two decades ago adjusted for inflation, no? It would be interesting to see a comparison of the SS/WS6 versus today's SS 1LE as far as price goes, and other similar comparisons. Also the 4V Cobras. But comparing anything to the Terminator is useless because that really was a helluva bargain, and it was built by God himself.

ZR-1s weren't cheap. NSX's weren't cheap (compared to the new one though, yeah I guess it was). Gen II Vipers weren't cheap. M cars weren't cheap. Turbo FD wasn't cheap. TT Supra wasn't cheap. I almost feel like we're in a better place now where the bargain sporty cars really kick ass relative to the rest of the market (sure they don't move volume but we're not exactly hurting for options under 50k). The expensive stuff has always been expensive and we have bargain options just as we did back then....

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Reason 2 of Savage Geese's rant on why sports cars aren't selling is... Enthusiasts.

And he so very eloquently said it, too.

Take a look at this board for example. Hundreds and hundreds of comments about a car... that that person will never buy regardless if it was blessed with an LS/Coyote or had their flavor of badge on it with a different name.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But you can get 1LE SS's, Scats, Coyotes.... all for relatively little, especially considering how they compare to the cars available one or two decades ago adjusted for inflation, no? It would be interesting to see a comparison of the SS/WS6 versus today's SS 1LE as far as price goes, and other similar comparisons. Also the 4V Cobras. But comparing anything to the Terminator is useless because that really was a helluva bargain, and it was built by God himself.

ZR-1s weren't cheap. NSX's weren't cheap (compared to the new one though, yeah I guess it was). Gen II Vipers weren't cheap. M cars weren't cheap. Turbo FD wasn't cheap. TT Supra wasn't cheap. I almost feel like we're in a better place now where the bargain sporty cars really kick ass relative to the rest of the market (sure they don't move volume but we're not exactly hurting for options under 50k). The expensive stuff has always been expensive and we have bargain options just as we did back then....

:werd:

not to mention people look past new 4 cylinder & 6 cylinder cars.

new 6 cylinder 1le camaro's would run circles around a v8 ss fbody on a road course and give a stock one a run for it's money in a straight line.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013

But that is kinda the problem now though.... if someone revamps an older car model its...... boom instantly to the moon in price. The new NSX is a perfect example, the new "supra" which isnt out yet will be another example.

The new Ford GT is in a whole new universe compared to the MSRP of the old one. (Granted the old was not cheap but just to compare)

Kinda gets hard for people to get excited about a new potential car when the chances of it being 100k plus are greater than it being lower than that.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
But that is kinda the problem now though.... if someone revamps an older car model its...... boom instantly to the moon in price. The new NSX is a perfect example, the new "supra" which isnt out yet will be another example.

The new Ford GT is in a whole new universe compared to the MSRP of the old one. (Granted the old was not cheap but just to compare)

Kinda gets hard for people to get excited about a new potential car when the chances of it being 100k plus are greater than it being lower than that.

i disagree. i think the performance per dollar now, is stronger than it ever was... 5.0 mustangs for high 20s, scat packs for mid 30's, v8 camaros for low 30's...

a fuck ton of car for the money across any of those.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Japan is pretty much making a few halo cars (NSX, GTR,Supra), a lot of appliances (prius/corolla), CUV's (CX-5 etc) and that is it outside of the WRX,Toybaru,Miata and the Civic SI/R. Just not much money for them in the enthusiast market it seems.

90's sportscars at least on the Japanese side stopped selling because SUV's and they couldn't keep the prices under 40k which with inflation I think is closer to 60k these days.

If I were to buy a newer car to track it would have to be the new Miata, Mustang, Camaro in that order.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
i disagree. i think the performance per dollar now, is stronger than it ever was... 5.0 mustangs for high 20s, scat packs for mid 30's, v8 camaros for low 30's...

a fuck ton of car for the money across any of those.

Yea I agree with some of that. There are some cars available. However options on a lot of these cars just kill the price, it's crazy what some things cost.

Hell I was just at one of my dealers last month, they had 5 grand sports sitting in the showroom, with options most were between 75-85k. Not even a zo6...... I was like ugh fuuuuuuck

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I kinda find this guy to be a pretentious twat in what he considers a sports car. He seems to be the type that would consider a car like a CTSv not a real sports car since there is versatility and comfort there yet he has a frs so it qualifies as a sports car. The problem is that people have families and need some versatility in a car they can also flog on a track if they so choose. If I'm buying a car that I can take to the track i'm also going to be mindful of using it in daily scenario's.

In short he can cry all he wants but manufacturers are going to follow what their markets are telling them. This is why we have such awesome options like 4 door hellcats, srt8 jeeps, bmw X6M's, and cts-v wagons. Granted they don't sell like honda civics but no sports or gt car ever has sold that volume in comparison.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info