Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
550-HP Mustang EcoBoost

Ohio dealership Lebanon Ford got attention last year for offering 727-hp supercharged Mustangs for just $40,000. Now, the dealership is offering a similarly wild package for the four-cylinder Mustang EcoBoost. How does 550 horsepower for $32,995 sound? Sounds pretty good to us.

That price buys you includes a base Mustang EcoBoost ($26,195) with a larger Borg-Warner turbocharger, a bigger intercooler, and a Cobb Accessport used to flash the ECU. With these parts and a tune from VMP Performance, Lebanon Ford tells R&T the Mustang EcoBoost can make 550 horses on a "conservative" tune.

While you can order this package on a base-model Mustang for under $33,000, the dealer recommends adding Ford's $1995 EcoBoost Performance Package, which offers bigger wheels, modified chassis tuning, and additional cooling. The package is available with either transmission, though the automatic requires additional upgrades.

Lebanon Ford claims that with a good driver and a set of drag radials, this car can run the quarter-mile between 11.2 and 11.7 seconds. Of course, installing this kit voids the Mustang's factory powertrain warranty, so know what you're getting into before you upgrade.

If you already own a Mustang EcoBoost, Lebanon Ford will install the upgrade kit for $7699. The dealer will even let you finance it.

A Mustang making 240 more horsepower than stock for just $33,000 is an impressive performance bargain. If you're willing to throw your factory warranty out the window, suddenly the EcoBoost presents a serious horsepower option.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Still rather excited that within the next 2-3 years a white convertible ecoboost will make it's way to my driveway as my fiances car. Can't wait to chip it without her knowing and laugh at the results.

I have driven it a lot in new jersey and for a 4 banger it is impressive how linear the power was.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If they were to offer a powertrain warranty with the added power, I could totally see having them build and sell it.

Is it really much of a different concept than the Yenko stuff of days gone by? Or the original SLP Firehawk for 91-92 Birds? That was basically an entirely rebuilt car. Engine, Trans, Suspension, and it kept a warranty.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The early motor swapped Yenko cars had limited motor warranties. In 1969 he used the Central Office Production Order program to get the 427 cid motors installed by GM at the factory. They carried the GM warranty and would be subject to any warranty claim inspection.

Some dealers perform installs on modifications from their parent company. Like Ford Racing Performance Parts for Ford vehicles. Many of these are backed by the FRPP warranty, not the factory warranty. I think Rousch, Saleen, other tuners, manufacturers like Whipple, and do on, use aftermarket "insurance" for warranties. I would think the biggest issue they would have to deal with would be government agencies. Like the EPA?

I think what this dealer is doing is cool. I can imagine they are just getting started. I bet they will have their own brand and will continue forward with these kinds of builds.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The early motor swapped Yenko cars had limited motor warranties. In 1969 he used the Central Office Production Order program to get the 427 cid motors installed by GM at the factory. They carried the GM warranty and would be subject to any warranty claim inspection.

Some dealers perform installs on modifications from their parent company. Like Ford Racing Performance Parts for Ford vehicles. Many of these are backed by the FRPP warranty, not the factory warranty. I think Rousch, Saleen, other tuners, manufacturers like Whipple, and do on, use aftermarket "insurance" for warranties. I would think the biggest issue they would have to deal with would be government agencies. Like the EPA?

I think what this dealer is doing is cool. I can imagine they are just getting started. I bet they will have their own brand and will continue forward with these kinds of builds.
Yeah, I wonder how that sort of thing works with the EPA.

Obviously a turbo charger has a HUGE impact on emissions. Even if not necessarily a bad one.

But if I were doing a down pipe on my RS, I'd definitely stay catted for a daily driver.

I'm definitely tempted by the offerings coming out for the RS. I've adopted a wait and see with the RS and turbo upgrades. I'd really love to see something done with the EFR7163.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info