2018 Tahoe/Suburban gets 6.2-liter and 10-speed

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
img-213243390-1491420407623.jpg

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-chevrolet-suburban-and-tahoe-rst-preview-1420694884247/

CARS.COM
Competes with: GMC Yukon Denali, Nissan Armada, Toyota Sequoia
Looks like: Your standard Tahoe and Suburban minus most of the chrome, plus blingy wheels
Drivetrain: 420-horsepower, 6.2-liter V-8 (Tahoe only); 10-speed automatic transmission; rear- or four-wheel-drive
Hits dealerships: Fall 2017

Behold the 2018 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe RST, which stands for Rally Sport Truck. Both models feature a de-chromed appearance package with bigger wheels, optional performance bits and a special powertrain for the Tahoe (but not the Suburban).

Exterior
It's not necessarily a "blacked-out" look for the RST package, as nearly as much of the chrome trim has been replaced by body-colored pieces and gloss-black bits. The RST is an add-on to the LT or Premier trim levels, and it comes with a body-color grille and door handles. Blacked-out trim replaces chrome on the roof rails, window trim, name script and Chevy bow-tie logos.

Big 22-inch wheels with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza performance all-season tires are part of the deal, as well.

Interior
Inside, there are surprisingly no changes. All of the sporty look is on the outside — the interior is as nice as you've specified by choosing either the LT or Premier trim levels, meaning that your wicked-looking, urban street-inspired Tahoe can feature incongruous fake wood trim on the inside.

Under the Hood
This is where things get interesting. While the RST itself is an appearance package, it opens the door to some performance options that you can only get on this model. Available on either the Tahoe or Suburban RST are a performance brake package with Brembo six-piston front calipers and larger Duralife rotors for better stopping power. A Borla exhaust is also optional, which provides a 28 percent flow improvement and up to 10 rear-wheel horsepower on the standard 5.3-liter V-8 engine.

The Tahoe alone gets something more, however. You can specify a Performance Package that will bring your Chevy's big 6.2-liter V-8 mated to the new 10-speed automatic transmission. Rear-wheel drive is standard, but four-wheel drive is optional even with the bigger engine. The package also includes Magnetic Ride Control, GM's adaptive suspension, but it's tuned specifically for sportier performance characteristics instead of the standard MRC's comfort skew available on Premier trim trucks.

The big V-8 in the Tahoe makes 420 horsepower and 460 pounds-feet of torque, good to propel the Tahoe from zero-to-60 mph in 5.7 seconds, according to Chevy. It also enables the Tahoe RST to tow 8,400 pounds, giving up nothing in the utility department.

Pricing has not yet been announced on the new package and performance options, but the trucks should be arriving at dealerships in the fall of 2017.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
And you can only get the 6.2/10 speed at the 80k price point. Everyone else has to deal with 5.3/slushbox.

There are too many options for other vehicles at that price point for me to ever consider a suburban. Unless my life changed greatly and I needed to do a great deal of towing that is a totally useless vehicle to me. They don't come close to being worth the current 70k price tag

guspech750

Guspech Superdriller
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2010
North Aurora
I associate those things with horrible oil burning and ruined lifters/camshafts so those will never look good to me

I'm not familiar with GMs full size suv's issues. That's interesting you pointed that out as I have toyed with the idea of possibly replacing my pickup with a previous gen suburban. Good to know.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I'm not familiar with GMs full size suv's issues. That's interesting you pointed that out as I have toyed with the idea of possibly replacing my pickup with a previous gen suburban. Good to know.

As always, one little problem gets blown out of proportion. Considering the number of GM small block V8's specifically GenIV versions with D.O.D. that are prone to this, which are in in everything from Impala's to trucks that are out on the road still working/running...

Throw enough shit at a wall, eventually something sticks! GM sells ~200k full size SUV's a year (195,407 last year). Statistically speaking, 1 or 2 might come back with some problem.

Back on point though, about fucking time... a 6.2L in a lower tier version.

I was a tech at a GM dealership too. GM fucks up a lot of things, but typically their trucks and full size SUV's aren't as bad as the rest of their stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info