Mustang owners sue Ford, claiming 2016 Shelby GT350 overheats, loses power

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Not sure if I missed this being posted.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...rd-claiming-2016-shelby-gt350-overheats-loses

Disgruntled Shelby GT350 Mustang owners are suing Ford Motor Co. in federal court for about $228 million, claiming the automaker sold them 2016 model-year performance cars that overheat and lose power on the track.

The suit contends the affected Shelby Mustangs have faulty transmissions and rear differentials that can overheat in as little as 15 minutes. The suit claims that Ford fixed the problem in 2017 vehicles, but told owners to make the fixes on the 2016 cars themselves, which they claim is a breach of the carā€™s warranty.

The 71-page lawsuit seeking class-action status was filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Miami. Hagens Berman, a law firm famous for filing class-action lawsuits against big companies, is handling the case.

ā€œWhen Ford marketed and sold these Shelby GT350 Mustangs, it knew exactly how to appeal to track-enthusiasts: it marketed enhanced performance in a limited-edition iconic vehicle that has been associated with racing for generations,ā€ Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman, said in a statement. ā€œWe believe that Ford induced purchasers with its ā€˜track-readyā€™ marketing, when in fact it knew that this defect would ultimately bar these Mustangs from ever being the hotrod consumers paid for.ā€

The lawsuit so far has four named plaintiffs, and estimates about 4,000 owners are affected. It says the cars are worth about $57,000 each, so damages could reach $228 million.

Ford said early Thursday that it had not yet been served.

ā€œFord is committed to providing our customers with top-quality vehicles,ā€ A Ford spokesman said in a statement. ā€œHowever, we do not comment on pending litigation.ā€

The Shelby GT350 Mustang went on sale near the end of 2015 and features Fordā€™s most powerful naturally aspirated engine ever made. The 5.2-liter flat-plane crankshaft V-8 gets 526 hp, and is Fordā€™s highest-revving eight-cylinder, topping out at 8,250 rpm.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ford and FRPP already said "If you planned to track the car you should have purchased a Trac Pack option."

The transmission for the Trac Pack car has a fluid pump in it. I doubt Ford will replace a trans in all these cars. The fill and return are close to one another on the trans. Guys that made their own coolers had mixed reviews. They believe the close proximity of the fill and drain plugs the fluid doesn't mix as well as it should have.

I know many will say "If you want to track the car you have to prep it for that." But seeing as there was no mention by for that their track inspired car should not be driven on the track with out the track pack option. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
It's common knowledge these cars run a little hot...lol
joe-charles-in-his-2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-that-caught-fire-during-track-day_100559715_h.jpg

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I remember when I had my SVTF and I told the jackass service guy that when I shift at any rpm over 6k the trans grinds into 2nd gear. He said "ohh, you can't rev the car that high, that voids your warranty". :picard: If only adult me could be in that same situation.

FUCK Ford when it comes to anything that has to do with warranty.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
All I know is that my 2011 GT had its rear end rebuilt 3 times, a clutch throwout bearing & slave cylinder replaced, and the transmission rebuilt once. The trans already had issues when I purchased it with 10K miles. All that was done under warranty. With MANY suspension modifications and one piece driveshaft. :rofl:

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
To be fair, some of the worst air fresheners I have ever smelled were in Dodge vehicles. So there is that.
I've got a dirty sock air freshener in my Dodge currently. Really sets the mood for driving that trailer park cruiser
They are not breaking. Just being put into "limp mode" due to components seeing temperatures higher than their design parameters.

Honestly, the owners should be thanking Ford for saving their vehicles from accelerated wear and damage.
Cmon man! It's a gt350. Track Pack or not, they shouldn't be so easily overheated.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
ford needs to get fucked with that. spending $55k+ on a flagship race inspired mustang but you need to spend more to be able to track it. :bowrofl:

I agree. I had a 2016 I almost bought. I would be pissed if I had those issues with the car Ford promoted so much as being a track car. Because Ford did not say anything about the Tech pack cars not going to be able to be tracked. Because I intended to track the car.

Also, Not every car owner had the same issues on the track. But the track, climate and so on probably played into it as well.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
Geee remember when i was laughimg about the "mandatory" added packages on the GT350 and everyone just said swallow the price markup with a smile...........

Seems like Ford made those "mandatory" added packages to avoid this with the later model years.

:io:

so you're saying it's acceptable that ford left off the needed oil, trans, and diff coolers? as if the added cost of those would send the price out of control.

leave the mag ride, spoiler, and whatever else comes in the track pack as additional but have the coolers as standard....so the car doesn't overheat or light itself on fire. not hard to do :dunno:

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
so you're saying it's acceptable that ford left off the needed oil, trans, and diff coolers? as if the added cost of those would send the price out of control.

leave the mag ride, spoiler, and whatever else comes in the track pack as additional but have the coolers as standard....so the car doesn't overheat or light itself on fire. not hard to do :dunno:

No im saying and have said from the get go even way back when im NOT a fan of "mandatory" packages and added markup that adds to the MSRP.

However IF the owners intention is to track the car then its up to them to option the vehicle as they intend to use it.

Why punish other buyers with "mandatory" options and added cost.

Also lastly I dont feel that Ford should be responsible for the all the issues. If people intend to track the car then sure it should be setup accordingly to their needs but not at the expense of other buyers.

After all its a "track inspired car" NOT A RACE CAR.

Personally i think this car has a glorious engine and id love to own one but only track it would ever see is a drag strip. A basic optioned GT350 with a centi supercharger would be a match made in heaven IMO for that voodoo engine.

"mandatory" packages just adds to the cost of the vehicle price and potentially pushes the car out of reach for some.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Some of you may remember that way back in 2003/2004, Chicago Mike #shoutouttoagoodFordguyChicagoMike and I publicized an alleged defect in the Terminator Cobras on Modular Fords and SVTPerformance that, IMO and other Cobra owners' opinions, caused the half shafts to pop/tink and eventually slip or break. Drag strip parking lot half shaft replacements got to be a common event after the half shafts would break at the track. Rear End Pop/Tink poll | SVTPerformance.com

Ford ended up replacing my half shafts along with Chicago Mike's and other guys who jumped in at the time. Ford's TSB called for re-torquing the half shaft nuts. IMO, this did not work and was a cheap "fix" for a known problem. IIRC, Ford, then, came out with another TSB that called for lubing up the half shaft teeth. IMO, that did not work, either. Notice, both TSBs called for inexpensive "repairs" rather than replacement of the parts. Looks like nothing has changed.

Man up, Ford. Build the cars right or fix them.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
This reminds me of Chevy and their "dry sump" system on vettes that can still starve the engine under sustained G's. Make ads and market a car as a track/race car but when an owner does the same thing and it fails too bad so sad.

I also recall a jeep lawsuit that I think they lost because they showed a jeep splashing thru deep water and people did the same with theirs and blew up engines.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
This reminds me of Chevy and their "dry sump" system on vettes that can still starve the engine under sustained G's. Make ads and market a car as a track/race car but when an owner does the same thing and it fails too bad so sad.

I also recall a jeep lawsuit that I think they lost because they showed a jeep splashing thru deep water and people did the same with theirs and blew up engines.

or people jumping their ford raptor and bending the frame. also gtr owners using launch control and voiding their warranty (early models only) :rofl:

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Jumping the Raptors is fucking stupid on the owners part.

Didnt GM get sued for C7 Z06 cooling issues also.

The whole lets sue everyone for lack of fucking common sense blows my mind.

moral of the story is being stupid is expensive.

also people tracking their shit should invest in these magical things called temp gauges.........
Or maybe they shouldn't overheat in 10-15 minutes?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info