2018 Fiesta ST to drop 1.6 EB 4 cylinder for a 1.5 3 cylinder EB

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
landscape-1487946461-fiesta-st.jpg

1487946754-stside.jpg

1487946428-strear.jpg

1487946394-stinterior.jpg

The current Ford Fiesta ST is a favorite among journalists everywhere, and for good reason. It's a fun, affordable, and capable little hatch that any enthusiast could enjoy to the fullest. How do I know? I owned one. I drove it to track days. I drove it cross country. I ice raced it. I rallycrossed it. In three years of ownership, I put 50,000 miles on it. Safe to say I liked it.

Ever since the new Fiesta was back in in November, we've been clamoring to get our eyes on the all-new performance version of Ford's most compact offering. Today, we finally get to see it.

The biggest news here is the powertrain. For 2017, the European ST drops the zippy 197-horsepower 1.6-liter turbo-four, and replaces it with an EcoBoost-based 1.5-liter turbocharged three-cylinder engine. Despite the loss in cylinder count, power goes up to 200 horsepower, while torque grows to 214 lb.-ft.

What hasn't been confirmed is if the US will be getting this engine too, or if the American version of the Fiesta will have something else. We'd find it hard to believe that Ford wouldn't bring the 1.5 our way in the ST, but it could happen.
The new hot Fiesta is packed with tech as well. It'll have three drive modes: normal, sport, and track, as well as cylinder deactivation, an active exhaust valve, and an "electronic sound enhancer" pumping noise through the speakers.Normal mode is just as you'd expect, keeping things calm and economy-focused. Sport mode sharpens up throttle response, stiffens up the steering, and turns up the volume on that sound enhancer, while track mode turns off traction control completely and loosens up the stability control for more sliding fun. Don't worry, everything can still be turned off if the driver so wishes.

Instead of opting to fit a limited slip differential for this generation, the 2017 Fiesta ST will continue to use a brake-vectoring system for the front wheels to improve turn-in and discourage wheelspin. 18-inch wheels come standard, as well as sport-oriented Recaro seats. Like the last car, it will be offered in three- and five-door variants.

We can't wait to drive it..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info