Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Kind of an interesting video too. Starts around 1:30 and goes into all the issues they have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HgthPgzgQ

Now, granted, dyno-testing a Tesla is a little different from a conventional car. As Brooks explains, an electric motor's all-the-torque-at-zero-RPM power delivery can wreak havoc on a dyno, since this equipment was designed to work with internal combustion engines that have to build up revs to hit peak power. As we saw back when Brooks dynoed his P85D, the Tesla's instant torque delivery meant the car had traction issues, squealing its tires on the dyno's rollers and making it tough to get an accurate reading.

So let's cut to the chase: 588 horsepower and 920 lb-ft of torque at the wheels, in a bone-stock Tesla Model S P100D with Ludicrous+. But that might not be the final word: As Brooks explains, these dyno runs started from a roll, not a dead stop, due to the traction issues we mentioned above. Even then, the car briefly spun its wheels on the dyno rollers, meaning it momentarily made more power than the dyno could handle. Finally, these numbers came from the ninth consecutive dyno pull—meaning the car's battery wasn't at full charge.

In other words, the P100D might actually make even more power than those numbers Brooks recorded.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Now they just need to work on interior quality for that price tag!

After I looked at the price of one of these performance 100 models this will be one of the few times I will agree with you on regarding Tesla.

140k+ for a loaded model is hard to stomach when the interior is very similar to the lower priced versions. 70 grand less versions.

For the price it's strictly about speed, and exclusivity and status and all of which are achieved with this version

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
hi

sYdD9oO.jpg

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
After I looked at the price of one of these performance 100 models this will be one of the few times I will agree with you on regarding Tesla.

140k+ for a loaded model is hard to stomach when the interior is very similar to the lower priced versions. 70 grand less versions.

For the price it's strictly about speed, and exclusivity and status and all of which are achieved with this version

Yeah...it is especially hard to stomach when you sit in a Model S, and then sit in something like an S550 or A8 right after. Night and day difference in interior.

I feel like they could get away as is with their more base ~$70k versions. But for a P100D at ~$140k...it should receive a much upgraded interior.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Tesla's were awesome when they came out.

Now, they are only for mid-upper or upper class folk. I see so many of them they've gotten to the point that no matter what exact model, color, wheel choice, they look the exact same.

I do think, however, that Elon is a pretty stand-up guy.

While 900+ Ft Lbs is great, that alone doesn't appeal to me for a car that costs 140K and has a "Dated" or "basic" interior.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
^^^ Don't know how.

As I recall, Mike K proved that after owning a Tesla for over a year, he could get more for his car than what he paid for it. I keed, I keed.

Who knows what type of issues you'd run into buying a used one. Could have been beaten to piss, have really high miles, etc.

Curious, what is the warranty structure on Tesla's? Anyone?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
^^^ Don't know how.

As I recall, Mike K proved that after owning a Tesla for over a year, he could get more for his car than what he paid for it. I keed, I keed.

Who knows what type of issues you'd run into buying a used one. Could have been beaten to piss, have really high miles, etc.

States mileage etc and everything on the site. Most are between 29-40k miles. It's very doubtful it was beat, or at least your chances of getting a beat up one are much less vs your normal trade in type cars.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
The used ones are becoming affordable though. Some 85s from Tesla directly are in the low 50s to upper 40s now.

^^^ Don't know how.

Plenty of low mileage 85's on eBay in the $50's.

Although I'd never buy one of these things out of warranty.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You can get a higher (70kish) mileage 85kwh for low $40,000's. That's a pretty swell deal when you look at what else 40k gets you, you factor in the 8 year unlimited mileage drivetrain warranty and you account for your monthly gas spend.

Some of you guys are spending more than your car payment each month in gas.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info