Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Will Do 198 MPH

The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, a 650-horsepower Camaro, will max out at 198 miles per hour. Yes, a stock Camaro will do nearly 200 miles an hour. Two. Hundred. Miles. An. Hour. Camaro.

Chevy got the 198 mph figure by running a new ZL1 coupe, complete with 10-speed automatic transmission, at the High Speed Oval at the Automotive Testing Papenburg GmBH test facility in Germany, the company said in a press release. The Papenburg test track consists of two 2.5-mile straights joined by 49.7-degree banked turns, meaning that it would actually be easier to stand on the side of the car than the roof, if for whatever reason you wanted to stand on the outside of a car at 200 MPH. Whatever, you do you.

But that sort of banking allowed GM’s test drivers to run the ‘Maro flat-out the entire way around.

Going down one of the straightaways the car maxed out at 193.3 mph, but going the other way it actually topped 200, ringing the bell at 202.3 mph. Average those two together to get rid of any wind advantage/disadvantage, and you get 198.

And that’s when the car was completely stock, save for a bit of mandatory safety equipment and datalogging stuff. Even the tires were completely legit, with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3s set at 44 psi, which is Chevrolet’s recommended setting for extended high speed driving.

But here’s the crazier bit. With just the lightest of modifications – the camber set at zero degrees and the tires pumped all the way up to maximum pressure – Chevrolet actually says the ZL1 regularly topped 200. On average. Even after accounting for wind.

Oh, and it’ll also do zero to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. And it’ll beat a Koenigsegg CCX around the Nurburgring.

That’s nuts. It’s a Camaro! A ZL1, sure, but still, a Camaro! With an automatic!

We live in a crazy world, and very occasionally I love it.

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
This car is a steal for the performance you get. The Chrysler fanboys are fapping over the Demon, but this car exceeds anything that FCA has on the market (minus the Viper which is going out of production). Kudos to GM. Ford needs to get the next gen GT500 out ASAP.

I actually hate that I agree with this post. Please don't disagree with me about your own post now. Please.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Yeah 200mph, because I have places to achieve this!

I don't understand the infatuation with a car doing 200mph, GT500, Charger Hellcat and this one.

Marketing....Ring times are kind of pointless and so are 10 second "stock" times. You have to be one hell of a driver to push a car to 10/10th's like they do for Ring runs, have a support staff with telemetry, perfect weather, etc.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Can't disagree with facts-Mid/Low 11's in the quarter, 200 mph and 7:30 at the Ring. I'd also take this over the Z06 as it's got 4 seats and a true trunk.

Negative, have ever seen the back seat or trunk of the 6th then? They are laughable.

Maybe you'll like the Z28 thats getting announced soon.

I don't think it's coming. I think what prototype has been photographed is actually the challenge racer Camaro GT4.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/02/chevrolet-camaro-gt4-r-racecar-is-ready-to-take-on-the-world/

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
There's enough room for 2 kids. That's more what I was thinking. You can't put car seats in the back of a Vette.

I can count the number of times on one hand that I had an adult in the back seat of my Mustang.

Ehhhh, maybe a newborn to young toddler. Anything where the kid has legs that stick out past the bottom of the car seat and you're in trouble. I thought the 5th gen was bad for back seat space and access but the 6th gen is on another level. It literally was put there for insurance reasons.

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
Yeah 200mph, because I have places to achieve this!

I don't understand the infatuation with a car doing 200mph, GT500, Charger Hellcat and this one.

I would like to do 200mph in the 1/4 mile...
2175250_orig.gif
:io:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Are you saying you would achieve 200mph in one of above said cars in 4/5ths of a mile with a turn coming up at the end of that 4/5ths of a mile?
Not at all.

But I'm looking at it from the average speeds a track like Road America sees.

With so much time spent above 100mph, the big HP cars can really put a leg on someone in the straights.

Any car running in the 2:30's at RA (which is entirely possible for a stock C6Z) is averaging around 100mph over the entire 4.1 mile course. Its a very fast track.

The 165mph figure I wrote comes from riding shot-gun in a stock C6Z that had a Traqmate GPS data logger in it. Every damn time on the front straight that car would run right up to about 165mph.

If your car hits an aero wall on the front straights at a track like RA its a big disadvantage. So unless you are trading top speed for downforce a big HP car that can run fast on the straights is going to have a big advantage at tracks like RA.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I mean current Z06's hit 150 at least on that straight.

i hit 145 and could have probably done 155 my first day at RA in novice with an sti with just an accessport. i could have shifted to 6th but didn't because the right angle turn at the end in 3rd and because of my sloppy downshifting - i didn't need yet another gear to drop for virtually nothing really.

that being said that last 50 mph is a lot harder to make up. i wonder what it would really get to. obviously you'd have camber and pressure set for a road course too so not what they tweaked for top speed.

of course even the prior gen camaro in reality is more than 99% of people know what to do with. this one is just another iteration in testing driver error vs. modern safety systems!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
RA is boring AF in an s2000. You're always flooring it :rofl: Must be what it's like to own a Miata like... all the time.

Its a really big track and in a low power car the straights just last FOREVER. You almost have the time to contemplate the meaning of life. Or read the Art of War.

Except, you don't have time because you are spending all your time giving point by's to much faster cars.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Sounds like Chevrolet just dropped a ZL1 1LE package. Keep an eye out for details. I'll post if I can.

Yup

2018-chevrolet-camaro_100593581_l.jpg

Just before the running of the 2017 Daytona 500 Chevrolet has taken the wraps off the new 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE. What is it? In short, a ZL1 with enhanced aero and some cool suspension technology.

As if the new Camaro ZL1 wasn't going to be track-ready enough, the 1LE version cranks things up a few notches with Multimatic DSSV (Dynamic Suspensions Spool Valve) suspension featuring monotube adjustable-ride-height front strut dampers, 19-inch forged aluminum wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires (305s up front and 325s in the back), and a 6-speed manual as God intended.

The power still comes from a blown LT4 V-8 with 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque, which all dumps right to the rear wheels.

Visually, up front it has larger upper and lower grille openings for more airflow, dive planes, the last-gen Z28's "Flow Tie," an aluminum hood with a carbon fiber insert, and a satin black wrap on the hood and mirrors. Out back, it gets black taillamps, black bow ties, and a carbon fiber wing.

Other fun notes:

Over three years of development went into the tires with Goodyear.
The wheels are 19x11-inches up front and 19x12 out back.
That 10-speed automatic transmission Chevy's so excited about? It's not offered.
Dive planes. Need we say more?
This thing is going to be really fast. In fact, it's 3 seconds quicker around GM's 2.9-mile Milford road course than the regular ZL1.
It's 60 pounds lighter than the base ZL1, thanks in part to a lighter rear seat and the DSSV dampers instead of the Magnetic Ride suspension.
If you thought the ZL1 was a monster, well, apparently the ZL1 1LE is what it turns into when it gets angry.

Like it is on the SS and V-6 Camaros, the 1LE will be an option package for the ZL1. If you want the ultimate track-weapon Camaro, you'll have to order it.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Test – Review – Car and Driver

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 3.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 7.4 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 18.4 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.8 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.5 sec @ 125 mph
Top speed (drag ltd, C/D est): 195 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 143 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.04 g

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info