Tesla Driver Uses His Expensive Car to Stop an Unconscious VW Driver's Car

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
An act of heroism is in the news as a Tesla driver risked himself and his car to slow and stop an out of control VW whose driver suffered a stroke and was unconscious as his car continued down the busy Autobahn.

Aluminum bodies are great for electric vehicles since they are lighter and enable longer range, but any Tesla Model S owner who had to get body work done on their car will tell you that it is not cheap.

It’s why Tesla drivers are especially careful not to even get a door ding on their car and why it’s particularly surprising to learn of a Tesla driver who intentionally collided with another car on the highway. Though it was definitely for a good reason.

German media are reporting this morning on an accident that happened on the Autobahn near Munich last night.

A 47-year-old man driving a VW Passat apparently lost consciousness while driving. It obviously resulted in a lost control and the vehicle hit the guardrail a few times, but it was still going fast.

That’s when the vehicle was spotted by a Tesla driver who realized that the VW driver was unconscious and decided to position his Model S in front of the VW and slow down until the vehicle collided.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/14/tesla-driver-sacrifices-model-s-help-save-man-stroke/

The man was driving his €70,000 Tesla north of Munich on Monday evening when he noticed a VW Passat swerving on the busy road in front of him, the fire services report.

Upon overtaking the vehicle, he saw that its 50-year-old driver was in serious trouble - clearly losing consciousness, he was no longer able to keep control of his vehicle.

This is when the Tesla driver decided to act.

After alerting the fire services to the situation, he drove in front of the VW and slowly applied pressure to his brakes, allowing the little car to crash into him from behind. Keeping his foot on the brake, he was able to bring both cars to a controlled stop.

According to the fire services, the man “showed incredible courage” and “saves lives” through his actions.

https://www.thelocal.de/20170214/tesla-driver-saves-lives-with-amazing-autobahn-rescue-maneuver

tmqdyzhj8nvylyuka1sx.png

kklilvdauu3z9gaav0zs.png

http://jalopnik.com/heroic-driver-sacrifices-his-tesla-to-save-unconscious-1792349590

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Serious good karma there. I hope someone steps up and pays for the damages. I assume insurance would?? But it's overseas so idk if there stuff is different

This seems like the type of thing Elon might offer a bit of help with :dunno:

Even just offering parts at cost would probably help a lot. Although, it really doesn't look that bad. Assuming the initial impact/contact was fairly smooth I could easily see this being mostly just paint and some light depressions.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
You guys were right. Elon Musk and Tesla have decided to repair the Tesla for free.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has now congratulated him for his heroic action and even said that Tesla would pay for the damages.

Maybe even more importantly, Musk said that Tesla would expedite the repairs, which can take a long time in certain markets – Germany in this case since it happened on the Autobahn near Munich in Southern Germany on Monday night.

Ha Ha! Now the VW driver is 57. His age keeps jumping. I'm guessing a reporter asked his age by saying 47? and was answered 50 which may have meant, no, 57.

A 57-year-old man driving a VW Passat apparently lost consciousness while driving.

Damn, this Tesla is filthy.

Manfred Kick is the driver. His quick thinking and good driving may have saved the VW driver's life as well as other motorists on the autobahn.

manfred-kick-tesla-1.jpeg

manfred-kick-tesla-2.jpg

Translated from Deutsche:

The idea has to come first: As a car slides on the highway , scrambling along the guardrail for several hundred meters, the driver is obviously no longer conscious. "For me it was clear that there was no alternative but to slow it down," says Manfred Kick. So the 41-year-old has briefly given gas with his Tesla, has placed himself in front of the VW Passat, let him drive up and so brought to a halt. He has probably saved the life of the 57- year-old driver in this spectacular way . On Tuesday, however, Kick tells this story so calmly and calmly, as if he had borrowed a pavement to a passer-by in the subway.

On Monday at 5:50 pm, Kick was traveling on the A 9 towards Nuremberg, shortly before the exit Garching south over the Passat in front of him, which was relatively slow on the left lane. Some carriages overtook, the drivers cursed. Kick also accelerated on the right to the same height of the car and wanted to give the driver to understand that he should go right if he had problems with his car. "But then I saw that the driver's body hung lifelessly in the belt, his head and arms hanging limply." To avoid an accident with other vehicles and to help the driver, Kick quickly and braked the vehicle. It was gently raking, but the damage to both cars is limited.

Manfred Kick opened the passenger door and stabilized the patient, who breathed heavily and could not be approached. A woman and a third driver also stopped, they alerted rescue workers and secured the accident site. The 57-year-old had suffered a circulatory collapse in the first evidence, and there was another man at the car phone who also informed the emergency physician. "We've worked very well together," says Kick.

This sentence honors the 41-year-old, who is sitting in Garching for the CSU in the city council. It is also a slight understatement, because you can say: Manfred Kick was the right man in the right place. The company of the metal builder manufactures guard rails for test purposes, he has also designed cars that push other cars. In short, "I already knew what I was doing," he says. Obendrein, he recently made a rescue exam, with detailed first aid training.

The 57-year-old is doing well so far. Kick has not thought about the damage to his Tesla: "I was sausage," he says. The good news for the rescuer from the motorway: On the SZ inquiry, the whole association of the German insurance company declared that the insurance companies of the collapsed VW driver had to pay the costs, if a so-called "sacrifice" was present. And so you can definitely call the help on the A 9 of Monday evening.

Garching: Stadtrat rettet bewusstlosem Fahrer das Leben - MĂĽnchen - SĂĽddeutsche.de

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info