So maybe I live under a rock, but Tesla is a 10 sec car?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I rode in a P85d or P90d, I can't remember which one.

But the initial launch is HARD.

There are a few reasons, not all of which is Torque.

First is the torque. Electric motors develop max torque from 0rpm, and it falls off after that. This is why they have relatively good acceleration, but crap top speed compared to a gas engine.

The 2nd reason their acceleration is so good is the speed of the electric motor's response to throttle requests. The Traction control system can switch the electric motor on/off incredibly quickly. Hundreds of times faster than an ABS system can actuate a brake to control wheel spin.

This means that the Tesla can literally put JUST the right amount of power down for acceleration regardless of traction. It can react to wheel spin so fast as to make it seem that there is none to human eyes.

Watch one take off, the wheels hardly spin at all even in slow motion. Thats because the controller is managing the power that quickly and precisely.

So you get a huge pool of torque to apply, and a system that applies just the amount needed for maximum acceleration.

End result? If you were not paying attention and had your phone up by your face, you'll make yourself in the face with said phone.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Doesn't the Tesla P100D start at like $135k? Fast and overall awesome, but interior quality is really lacking for a car in that price range. I drove in a buddy's P85D, and it was a cool car and pretty damn quick...but man for that price was the interior quality a let down!

No where near the top German sedans.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
do they do well with a tune :s00ls:

Actually, they would do the "best" out of anything with a tune.

Change the programming and you can demand more current from the batteries beyond the safety limits tesla put into the programming.

Course, if you demand enough the batteries might overheat, and explode.

But hey, whats life without a few risks.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
Actually, they would do the "best" out of anything with a tune.

Change the programming and you can demand more current from the batteries beyond the safety limits tesla put into the programming.

Course, if you demand enough the batteries might overheat, and explode.

But hey, whats life without a few risks.

i guess then they come pre lodeded with them then. just called modes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info