Drag pack/pak origins and who followed who

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

I know the 1969 Mustang Mach 1 with the 428 had a "drag pack" option. I believe there was one for the 1968 390 car as well.

machinvoice.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
It seems 1963 was when they all jumped into the factory light weight cars. With the Catalina, Z-11 Impala, Galaxy 500, and so on. Then followed by smaller cars being used. Like the 1964 Fairlane Thunderbolt and 1965 Dodge Coronet A990.

From Wiki about the Thunderbolt and other weight savings besides the frame, aluminum and fiberglass parts.
"Other weight-saving measures include the elimination of such street items as the sunvisors, radio, heater, wheel covers, passenger side windshield wiper, arm rests, rear window cranks, mirrors, sound deadening material, carpeting, trunk mat, lug wrench, jack and spare tire. Front seats were either lightweight units from Ford's police package vehicles or rudimentary bucket seats from the Econoline van; the carpeting was replaced with a black rubber mat. The rear seat was a standard Fairlane unit. The high-beam headlights were eliminated as well and in their place were mesh-covered air intakes which ran directly to a special air cleaner atop the 427."

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I remember going with my buddies family to a show every year at a dealership in Naperville. It was huge and had more factory lightweight, Hemi, Superbirds and so on. It was incredible. They all sounded insane when they pulled in and left. I never got to rid in one, though. My buddies uncle had an all original factory lightweight wedge car with ridiculously low miles.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
seriously, thing sounded like a goddamn prostock car

I loved how mopar vehicles already looked like the fenders and front end were going to fall off. This sheet metal just flapping around everywhere made worse with those big cam'd motors. hahaha

Many of them were underrated in the hp department. I think many of those era motors 426-427 motors were making 600 hp back then. Snotty for sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info