US EPA Accuses Fiat Chrysler of Using Diesel Emission Cheating Software

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The diesel dilemma seems to be widening. Today, the United States Environmental Protection Agency issued a notice of violation to Fiat Chrysler, alleging that the automaker used software deliberately designed to cheat emissions testing on roughly 104,000 diesel-powered vehicles sold on the US market.

The EPA contends that FCA installed and failed to disclose engine management software that "results in increase emissions of nitrogen oxides (NOx) from the vehicles." The allegations claim the software was used on 2014, 2015, and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Ram 1500 models powered by FCA's 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 and badged as EcoDiesel.

Notably, the allegations do not affect Ram's heavy-duty 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks powered by the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel inline-six.

"Once again, a major automaker made the business decision to skirt the rules and got caught," California Air Resources Board Chair Mary D. Nichols said in a co-statement released by the EPA. "CARB and U.S. EPA made a commitment to enhanced testing as the Volkswagen case developed, and this is a result of that collaboration."

According to the EPA's statement, "FCA did not disclose the existence of certain auxiliary emission control devices to EPA in its applications for certificates of conformity for model year 2014, 2015 and 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Ram 1500 trucks, despite being aware that such a disclosure was mandatory. By failing to disclose this software and then selling vehicles that contained it, FCA violated important provisions of the Clean Air Act."

The statement reveals that, in September 2015, the EPA instituted "an expanded testing program to screen for defeat devices on light duty vehicles." The testing found that the FCA vehicles in question produced increased NOx emissions under normal driving conditions. The EPA says that at least eight undisclosed pieces of software were found in the affected vehicles, which the agency says "can alter how a vehicle emits air pollution."

An EPA spokesperson said that the EPA is still assessing the exact amount of emissions allowed by the suspected defeat device, though the spokesperson confirmed that the undisclosed software "greatly affects" the operation of the affected vehicles.

As Automotive News reporter Larry Vellequette confirms, FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne long maintained that a VW-style cheat was not being used by this automaker.

The responsibility now lies with FCA to convince the EPA that the undisclosed pieces of software are not, in fact, so-called defeat devices. From the EPA's description, the alleged software sounds nearly identical to the defeat devices discovered in Volkswagen Group diesel-powered vehicles, which allowed the vehicles to emit up to 40 times the legal limit of NOx emissions in real-world driving, while tailoring the vehicles' performance to meet the legal limit when the vehicle detected it was undergoing government emissions testing.

At the moment, the EPA's action is simply a Notice of Violation, meaning that model-year 2016 FCA vehicles with the affected 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 can still be sold at dealerships. "If you own one of these vehicles, no immediate action is required of you," an EPA spokesperson said on a press call.

:run:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
As stupid as these companies are for trying to skirt the law, the emissions standards/testing are totally stupid.

I think it highlights the real possibility that the EPA emissions requirements are simply too strict to meet both emissions standards as well as customer expectations. The resulting cheating of the standards that have been set forth seem to be rigged to meet the most commonly measured metric... customer expectation.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I think it comes down to cost too. I'm sure that each manufacturer could make them emissions compliant if price was no object. But a consumer is not going to pay a $15K premium for a diesel in a half-ton, or $10K for a diesel in a sedan.

Now maybe the companies are just bypassing R&D to save money, and just installing these "cheat" devices to save money.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I think it highlights the real possibility that the EPA emissions requirements are simply too strict to meet both emissions standards as well as customer expectations. The resulting cheating of the standards that have been set forth seem to be rigged to meet the most commonly measured metric... customer expectation.

i think there's a real possibility too, that all of 'em were/are doin' somethin'.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Notably, the allegations do not affect Ram's heavy-duty 2500 and 3500 pickup trucks powered by the 6.7-liter Cummins turbodiesel inline-six.

WAHOO! I dodged the bullet on this scandal! :fy: :run: :banana-mario:

Just 2 class-action lawsuits ABOUT emissions cheating :jg:

Granted I think those are tied to 2006-2015 MY Trucks, and not yours?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Right...the average enthusiast really cares about cost and performance. Do most of us want a low emissions vehicle? Sure, that's nice. But are we willing to pay thousands more for it, or give up significant performance? No, most of us aren't.

fixed.

average consumer's are starting to care about emissions and the world being green and blah blah.

i recently bought a vehicle for work from a kid who was selling vw's who showed me texts & messages from people who had bought TDI's from him, being pissed, DIRECTLY AT HIM :rofl: for selling him a vehicle which polluted more.

:rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
And that pussy gasser power wagon looks better every day.

EDIT: Those lawsuits say 07-12MY Cummins trucks.

BINGO.

The first link:

The class-action firm Hagens Berman brought the suit in U.S. District Court in Detroit on behalf of four named plaintiff truck owners, citing the 2007-12 Dodge Ram 2500 and 2007-12 Dodge Ram 3500 trucks.

Read more: Dodge Ram Cummins diesel truck emission lawsuit

then this from the second link:

The latest lawsuit names FCA US, the company’s North American-based operations, as well as engine supplier Cummins Inc. It accuses the companies of using software designed to conceal its vehicles’ emissions in more than 450,000 heavy-duty 2500 and 3500 Dodge and Ram pickups from the 2007-2012 model years with 6.7-liter diesel engines from Cummins.

I'M STILL LAWSUIT FREE BITCHES! :nanadance:

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Watch, Scott Pruitt will step in and this will end with nothing but a slap on the wrist. VW will be sitting there in a rage, billions in the hole

I don't like the EPA and I do think the standards are too stringent, but they're not completely wrong. Go to a crowded intersection in mexico full of small diesels with no emissions hardware and the smell will make it easy to appreciate some reasonable standards

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Right...the average consumer really cares about cost and performance. Do most of us want a low emissions vehicle? Sure, that's nice. But are we willing to pay thousands more for it, or give up significant performance? No, most of us aren't.

I agree that the limitations are all arbitrary and largely set by people with no real understanding of how or even if the efficiency levels can be met. That said, we're all going to win because as these companies are ousted for cheating they're trying to redeem themselves by coming out with super-efficient vehicles. I believe VW is making a substantial shift to all-electric.

The more companies that do this, the cheaper the technology becomes and with electric you truly do have a more efficient vehicle that is also more reliable and performs better than it's internal combustion equivalent. And with solar getting cheaper and energy as a whole getting greener, eh boy... I'm not saying it's going to happen in the next 5 years but sooner than later we're all going to be driving around in uber-torquey electric cars powered by a green grid.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Watch, Scott Pruitt will step in and this will end with nothing but a slap on the wrist. VW will be sitting there in a rage, billions in the hole

I don't like the EPA and I do think the standards are too stringent, but they're not completely wrong. Go to a crowded intersection in mexico full of small diesels with no emissions hardware and the smell will make it easy to appreciate some reasonable standards

This is true. People in the flatlands like to bitch and moan about California's regulations too but take a look at LA in the 60's or take a look at India now. These regulations aren't only about being green; they're about people being able to breathe. It's hard to quantify the cost of the health effects of smog but they are very real.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info