In a move that surprises no one, the Chevy SS is dead after 2017

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well... duh?

Dead: Chevrolet SS

One of our favorite cars that no one bought, the Chevrolet SS, is no more after 2017, General Motors North America President Alan Batey told WardsAuto today at the Detroit Auto Show. This coincides with GM ceasing its manufacturing efforts in Australia, where the SS is made, at the end of this year.

Enthusiasts who’ve clamored for a rear-wheel-drive, LS-powered V8 Supercar to hit the States were glad to see the SS come here, however, not many bought them. Its sales have been disappointing.

Then again, Chevrolet themselves didn’t know how to sell the SS, as they offered the Aussie hoon sedan with only an automatic to start with—which made burnouts hard, for one.

So, if you want to own a real, live rebadged Holden of your own, you’re going to have to act fast. This is the last year you’ll have the chance to buy one new.

As WardsAuto notes in their tweet on the matter, the SS also serves as the branding for Chevrolet’s entry in NASCAR. While their tweet from the Detroit Auto Show floor is confusingly worded about this, we believe that it’s the SS part—not Chevrolet as a whole—that will be missing from NASCAR in 2018 and beyond.

We’ve reached out to NASCAR to see if they know which car is getting the NAS-treatment after the SS goes the way of the dodo and will update this post as soon as they respond.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
They botched marketing on this car so bad it's like they intentionally wanted it to fail just so they could say I told you so. There's been no press on it, at all and it's named after a trim level which means that you can't even search for them without finding info on every other model Chevy made that had the SS moniker. Just embarrassing.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Will this appreciate/hold value like the G8 GXP?

I don't think it will. Maybe some of the rare color/transmission combos will retain good value, but I don't think it will remain as stout as the GXP did. They might not bleed value like higher volume cars but I don't think we'll see appreciation at any point in time.

Hasn't the 6MT SS bitten into the value of the GXP though? I thought I remembered some people saying their GXPs' values have been dropping lately.

And it's not that Chevy "didn't know how to sell the SS" as the article states, they (and UAW) just didn't give a shit if it sold from the beginning.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Chevrolet never intended to sell many of these. Their president basically said they did because it was cheap and they wanted to get the SS into Nascar.

“Using the old adage, ‘win on Sunday, buy on Monday,’ we decided that in small numbers we’d introduce it the U.S. because we could, frankly, at a pretty low cost"

0GBlown

Regular
Oct 13, 2011
SouthEast
No marketing and calling it an ambiguous "SS" did no favors for non enthusiasts to know this ever existed.

shoulda have just called it a Lumina SS, would have sold

ZA_Chev_Lumina_Sedan_MO_01_980x351.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info