Tesla Model 3

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
model-3-model-y-tesla.jpg

Tesla has managed to keep its much awaited Model 3 under wraps before its big reveal Thursday, but a new report by Electrek has given us all the information we've been waiting for.

The biggest news to come out of the report is that a version of the Model 3 will offer a range that exceeds 300 miles. That's huge for a car that will start at a consumer-friendly price point of $35,000 MSRP, but there's a caveat: Electrek says that range will be reserved for a higher-end Model 3 with a price tag in the $50,000 to $60,000 range.

The report also notes that the Model 3 will be able to accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour in under four seconds.

Finally, the car will have Autopilot, the semi-autonomous driving mode Tesla launched last year in the Model S. But like that 300-mile range, those features will be reserved for those willing to shell out $50,000 to $60,000, Electrek reports.

Tesla's Autopilot comes with features like automatic braking, lane switching, and blind spot warnings.

Electrek got the tip from a source that provided reliable information for a leak on the Tesla P85D.

A spokesperson from Tesla wouldn’t confirm Electrek’s report or add any further details, telling Tech Insider that Tesla doesn't "comment on speculation.”

For comparison, the Tesla Model S starts at $70,000. The lower-end model, the 70D, has a range of 240 miles and can accelerate from 0 to 60 miles per hour in 5.2 seconds. The Model S P90D will get you a 253-mile range and can accelerate to 60 miles per hour in 2.8 seconds while in ludicrous mode.

The Model X starts at a whopping $132,000. The lower-end model, the 70D, has a range of 220 miles and can accelerate to 60 miles per hour in 6 seconds. But the Model X P90D can reach that same acceleration in 3.2 seconds in ludicrous mode and has a range of 250 miles.

The big question: What will the Model 3 actually look like? We'll find out at 11 p.m. Eastern Thursday when Tesla makes its big announcement.

http://www.techinsider.io/tesla-model-3-car-specs-just-leaked-2016-3

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I knew there was going to be one for the general public. Anyone could have called that.

Well considering they themselves have been saying it for years as well as advertising a price point for it, nobody really needed to call it. :hs:

They sent an email a couple weeks ago stating that existing owners get priority over non-owners. That's enough to get me to throw down $1000 for a deposit tomorrow. When it comes I either sell the S or sell the 3 for a profit since the new models are always supply limited.

If this car looks nice and Tesla isn't losing money on each unit, this is going to be huge.

dberz94

Professional Slacker
Feb 14, 2015
Not that mention they've been talking about it for the last 3 years....

Edit: damn you beat me to it lol

Its either Im really forgetful or I just never paid close enough attention to teslas other than the P85s. Its most likely the second option because I thought I would never be able to afford one, maybe this could change that. Also I dont really know anyone that owns one, besides [MENTION=396]Mike K[/MENTION] and a distant friend, so the thought of a Tesla rarely crosses my mind.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm surprised that it has more range than the 100k+ P90D. Makes me wonder if they shoehorned the same battery pack into a smaller lighter chassis.

The numbers are pure fantasy anyhow. The highest capacity S has an EPA range of 265 miles and a Tesla range of 300+ miles. You would never realistically be able to meet Tesla's rated range and generally you won't even come close to the EPA rated range.

With most cars highway mileage is substantially better than city. With the Model S it's the opposite. So if you drive on the expressway at all and you don't feel like driving 55mph, your range is reduced at a much higher rate. If I'm going to Phoenix I might lose 1.3 miles of rated range for every mile driven over a 200 mile stretch.

Most recently I left the supercharger in Quartzite, AZ with 200 miles of range to make a 140 mile leg. I pulled in with 0 miles of range. So that 140 actual miles cost me 200 EPA rated miles which would be something like 250 Tesla rated miles.

None of this comes as a surprise as you're driving the car because it's telling you exactly what range it predicts it will have by the time you get to your destination and I was driving like a bag of dicks since I knew I had a big power buffer but still.

Last edited:

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I was not aware how inaccurate the range estimates were. I'd also imagine that the extreme cold in the north winter months has an effect on the batteries. Not to mention the AC and heater.

yes, all the problems that have plagued electric cars for 100 years.

you don't get 300 miles for 35k? color sickmint79 surprised

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The numbers are pure fantasy anyhow. The highest capacity S has an EPA range of 265 miles and a Tesla range of 300+ miles. You would never realistically be able to meet Tesla's rated range and generally you won't even come close to the EPA rated range.

With most cars highway mileage is substantially better than city. With the Model S it's the opposite. So if you drive on the expressway at all and you don't feel like driving 55mph, your range is reduced at a much higher rate. If I'm going to Phoenix I might lose 1.3 miles of rated range for every mile driven over a 200 mile stretch.

Most recently I left the supercharger in Quartzite, AZ with 200 miles of range t make a 240 mile leg. I pulled in with 0 miles of range. So that 140 actual miles cost me 200 EPA rated miles which would be something like 250 Tesla rated miles.

None of this comes as a surprise as you're driving the car because it's telling you exactly what range it predicts it will have by the time you get to your destination and I was driving like a bag of dicks since I knew I had a big power buffer but still.

Truley it is all in how you drive. People say the range drops when you drive faster..... Well the same is true in gas cars. I can do about 45 mpg or so at 60-65 mph in my Cruze. If I go 80 or 90 it drops significantly.

Also in the summer my 10.5 usable gallons nearly gets me 480 miles. In the winter I'm filling up around 360 or so.

When I had my volt I would get better than the EPA rated range nearly every single time. Most times I achieved close to 50 miles on a charge. Granted I would drive about 65 mph on the hwy to work but in rush hour traffic how fast can you really go?

I have not heard as many tesla owners getting as bad of mileage as you are. People I follow on YouTube with 90d cars are achieving 260+ at a normal pace. with a mix of city and hwy driving

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info