Jalopnik's 2017 NSX review (and a few others)

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The 2017 Acura NSX Was Absolutely Worth The Wait

SfpdvzA.jpg

The Verdict

So is this NSX a fitting descendant of the older car that I loved so much growing up? Yes. Well, maybe.

After the road drive was completed Acura was kind enough, or perhaps foolish enough, to toss me the keys to a company-owned 2005 NSX. It was not a museum piece. It was a 47,000-mile example. The seats weren’t perfect. The steering wheel had faded over the years by the California sun.

And while the original NSX may have been a technical marvel in its day, to drive it now serves as reminder of a time when the best cars communicated in analog fashion. They reacted to your inputs. They had a dialogue with you. They became one with you, the driver.

This new NSX asks you to become one with it. To envelop yourself in its comfort, its luxury, its technology, to become as much of a hybrid as it is.

What Acura has done with this new NSX is to take a driving experience that was previously only accessible to the gifted and allow the ordinary (if rather wealthy) man to fly just close enough to the sun to revel in its power and beauty. And if, in order to fly that close, one has to wear a suit of technological armor, is that a price that they should be willing to pay?

That’s up to you. Me? I say it, quickly and easily, without hesitation: hell yes.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2017 Acura NSX first drive review

Inflation-adjusted, the original NSX's sticker of about $60,000 would be about $104,300 today. With a plan to sell just 800 cars a year in the U.S., the new NSX's huge premium over that might not matter much. They'll be exceedingly rare for at least a couple of years, while cars trickle out of the Ohio facility that's essentially hand-building them.

The first NSX was a rare bird at first, too. A purely conceived halo car, it had no point other than to show Honda could build its own Ferrari, minus the badge.

The new NSX reasserts that authority. The purity has been replaced by a wildly inventive synthesis of drive systems. It's a technological flagship, and a convincing one.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I was on the same drive event as these guys and by the looks of it came away equally as impressed. The combination of electric juice and turbocharged gas engine is so seamless it's practically unbelievable that all of these systems are working together to provide a cohesive driving experience. Any blank spot from the 500-hp turbo engine is filled in with the electric motors - no turbo lag and instant throttle response off a corner. It's true there's not much in the way of steering feedback or front end grip, which is slightly disappointing. The NSX isn't a dedicated track car but after reading some rumors it sounds like there will be more track-oriented versions on the way. The NSX is a riot on the street, though, and sounds so sexy on the inside.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I was on the same drive event as these guys and by the looks of it came away equally as impressed. The combination of electric juice and turbocharged gas engine is so seamless it's practically unbelievable that all of these systems are working together to provide a cohesive driving experience. Any blank spot from the 500-hp turbo engine is filled in with the electric motors - no turbo lag and instant throttle response off a corner. It's true there's not much in the way of steering feedback or front end grip, which is slightly disappointing. The NSX isn't a dedicated track car but after reading some rumors it sounds like there will be more track-oriented versions on the way. The NSX is a riot on the street, though, and sounds so sexy on the inside.

How can I get a job like yours? No BS.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Is the $150K+ NSX lacking in the performance area?

This website argues the new NSX is a failure from both an execution and performance perspective. Hey, the market for the car speaks for itself does it not? For the $156k asking price which goes up with options you expect it to be near the forefront of modern performance.

It isn't. Not by a long shot. Acura supposedly targeted the 458 Italia for performance but they came up short. They aren't even exceeding the cheaper and much older design of the Nissan GT-R.

The NSX weighs 3900 pounds. Ouch.

Look at what it does in the 1/4 mile in the real world. An 11.338 @ 122.52. In other words, it will have its hands full with a much cheaper and much lighter Porsche 911 GTS which does not have all the fancy hybrid nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3cs6PUf1Vw

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
But pricing isn't the same. lol

I agree the quarter mile times are not the end all in a car like that. But it seems below the cars they were targeting as well. For that kind of money, you have to factor in performance should be where even the engineers wanted it to be.

I said IF pricing was the same, as in a hypothetical...b/c I cant afford a NSX or a C7Z regardless.

Still would take the NSX. I have never been a fan of the C7. The Z helped in the looks department but if I had the cash, it wouldnt even be in my top 5.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have to say the looks are amazing..... beyond that that is about it. For the price (as stated before in thread) and what the cars competition is at that price it’s one of the last cars I would chose. From the reviews I’ve watched that seems to be the overall consensus.

As in why would you buy this NSX that sounds terrible when you could have an R8 plus that’s faster and has the lambo sound? (Insert other cars at that price point here as well, all of them sound better)

Honestly felt that by the time they launched this NSX it was already behind the curve

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This car is so ridiculously nice to drive that I’m OK with it being a few ticks behind competitors for its price. It’s not high strung, is easy to drive, has good visibility and is quiet. There’s a stealth mode where it drives like an EV. It’s not a track day car, that’s for sure. I like the everyday supercar livability but would also like to see what this car could do gutted and tuned up. It’s not that much slower, but much more livable. It is a strangely positioned vehicle, though.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, I am sure it will do well because it is a livable "Super car".

I mean people buy mustangs more than a Camaro, even though the Camaro is probably the better performance buy. People buy a lot with their hearts and not with their minds. And by no means is a person driving this new NSX losing at anything. lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info