New Launch Button: 4.2 0-60 for 2014 SRT8

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Jeep has added a new "Launch" button to the 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT8. Hold the brake pedal, push the button which has a "Christmas Tree" icon, floor the gas pedal and the Jeep will hold a predetermined rpm until you release the pedal. Release the pedal and experience an AWD 4.2 0-60 launch (under ideal conditions). The reporter for the story was turning out consistent 4.5s.

3c20d265-4a94-4d94-8481-ec6d7a474a7d_6a00d83451b3c669e201901caeb751970b-800wi.jpg

By spelled out, we mean the whole word, "Launch," appears on the button to designate the 470-horsepower, all-wheel-drive Jeep SRT8's Launch Mode. There are no acronyms or guessing with this button. What the button does is also made clearer by the awesome depiction of a drag strip's starting-line lights, aka a "Christmas tree."

Jeep's launch control is standard on SRT8s for consistent, enhanced fast starts of the high-performance SUV. Launch Mode brings the engine, suspension, transmission and driveline together for fast launches from a standstill by revving the engine at a standstill and launching the 5,000-pound SUV like a rocket.

What does this insanely awesome button do? - Yahoo! Autos

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
@Bru seems to be ahead of you on this one

HEY PS THE REPORTER WE KNOW.

Writer is a hack :io:

It's not like I'm looking for thread starting credit. I start so many what's one more or less? :smile:

What does this insanely awesome button do?

By Joe Bruzek | Cars.com – Tue, Jun 4, 2013 4:46 PM EDT

3c20d265-4a94-4d94-8481-ec6d7a474a7d_6a00d83451b3c669e201901caeb751970b-800wi.jpg

MORE AT CARS.COM

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is home to perhaps one of the most appropriate buttons we've encountered in the What Does This Button Do? series. Mysterious buttons are rarely spelled out as clearly as the Jeep SRT8's, or as fun to use.

By spelled out, we mean the whole word, "Launch," appears on the button to designate the 470-horsepower, all-wheel-drive Jeep SRT8's Launch Mode. There are no acronyms or guessing with this button. What the button does is also made clearer by the awesome depiction of a drag strip's starting-line lights, aka a "Christmas tree."

[Related: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8, a ‘shine runner’s dream: Motoramic TV]

Jeep's launch control is standard on SRT8s for consistent, enhanced fast starts of the high-performance SUV. Launch Mode brings the engine, suspension, transmission and driveline together for fast launches from a standstill by revving the engine at a standstill and launching the 5,000-pound SUV like a rocket.

To activate, Jeep's instructions say the SUV must be stopped on a level surface before fully depressing the brake pedal - while in Drive - and then pressing the Launch button. While holding the brake, mash the accelerator pedal to the floor within a half-second and the engine will rev to a predetermined rpm. Once the engine speed is up, all the driver has to do is lift the brake and the SRT8 launches perfectly every time.

Cars.com reviewer Aaron Bragman tested the SRT8's Launch Mode at the vehicle's introduction:

"Jeep rates the SRT Grand Cherokee at 4.8 seconds from zero to 60 mph, but I discovered that this is a conservative figure: Using the SRT's onboard software and a special launch button, I was able to consistently rip off 4.5-second zero-to-60 times, and SRT engineers say that they've been able to achieve 60 mph in 4.2 seconds under perfect conditions."

@yahooautos on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

B7210012.310;sz=1x1;ord=1370560480.848648
p

ill help

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
LOL! Yahoo's one of my search sites. If they have it, I see it.

I thought you wrote an interesting article. My biggest question echoes one posted above. "Why doesn't Dodge put this in a car rather than a two and a half ton SUV?" Other Mopar transmissions too weak to take the brake torque launches?

I would guess you'll see LC on the SRT cars when they eventually get the 8 speed trans. They currently use the old 5 speed. Also with the new 8 speed, the transmission has rev matching downshifts that the 5er doesn't. Awd on the Jeep also makes LC much more interesting and purposeful.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info