L67 reliability?

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
in the next few months i'm going to begin actively looking for a 2004/2005 L67-powered Impala SS.. I've decided I want some booooooost and I'm familiar with the Impala (how it drives / handles / repairs of some things / etcetera)

BUT

some questions I have

1. How much more durable is the 4T65E-HD over the 4T65E found in my car ?
2. How reliable are these engines? More / less than the L36?
3. They get about the same fuel mileage, right ?

I'm a little scared to try something new but I'm sure it's what route I wanna take since I can't get a GTO just yet.

TIA

I'll post questions I have about the car / engine / trans in this thread as they come along.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The trans is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get.

The motor is stout as fuck if you take care of it. As in dont be stupid with it.

I actually get better gas mileage with my GS then my GT ever did. Especially on the highway.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
honestly, ud be better off just READING thru the 1000s of 3800 posts. read thru the ILGPC archives....the l67 is a stout engine but like anything else, mod it enough and ure gonna see issues
noted. Thanks mike :bigthumb:

for what it's worth

mods I'd consider..

Powertrain -
- Fenderwell intake
- Shift kit
- Resonator / U - bend delete
- 3" Downpipe
- Headers (later on)
- 3.5" modular pulley
- PCM Tune
- Colder Plugs
- 180* T-stat

Suspension -
- F body calipers
- Slotted rotors

Body -
- Tint
- HID's

and that'd probably be the extent of the mods. I don't want anything super fast, just something moderately quick for a DD.

The trans is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are gonna get.

The motor is stout as fuck if you take care of it. As in dont be stupid with it.

I actually get better gas mileage with my GS then my GT ever did. Especially on the highway.
Well.. with the new car would come a lot more responsibility. I'd take better care of it both in how I drive for it and how I care for it. I would drive it nothing like I drive this one.. I wouldn't rod it every time I'm in the car. I want a little more of a "grown up" car so to speak.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
s00ls your REALLY should have thought about this when you blew up your motor twice. A L67 and trans could have easily been swapped into your car, and still could for alot less than a newer Impala SS.

The trans is a hit or miss like fish said. Seems some peoples transmissions are fine and some blow up multiple times at stock power. I don't have any issues with my stock trans thankfully.

Some people would say your mod list is a recipe for disaster, I would say keep the stock pulley. Do the most you are thinking about, then scan. Drop pulley accordingly. As for the PCM, get a tune, learn how to make changes yourself, or ask some member to help out. I would probably add colder plugs and a 180 thermostat to that list. They arnt expensive.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Well.. with the new car would come a lot more responsibility. I'd take better care of it both in how I drive for it and how I care for it. I would drive it nothing like I drive this one.. I wouldn't rod it every time I'm in the car. I want a little more of a "grown up" car so to speak.

:bigthumb:

But seriously... it would cost less to just swap a L67/4t65e-hd, and then the car would be something for you to respect since you put the work into it..... shit, get an L32 and a 4t65e-hd and start with 20 more HP

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
yep.

what are you planning on doing with your current pala?
trading it in. I'm going to end up taking a hit on it but I don't care.. I've been wanting an SS for a little bit now

s00ls your REALLY should have thought about this when you blew up your motor twice. A L67 and trans could have easily been swapped into your car, and still could for alot less than a newer Impala SS.

The trans is a hit or miss like fish said. Seems some peoples transmissions are fine and some blow up multiple times at stock power. I don't have any issues with my stock trans thankfully.

Some people would say your mod list is a recipe for disaster, I would say keep the stock pulley. Do the most you are thinking about, then scan. Drop pulley accordingly. As for the PCM, get a tune, learn how to make changes yourself, or ask some member to help out. I would probably add colder plugs and a 180 thermostat to that list. They arnt expensive.
Twice?

I popped the motor in this car *once*

I didn't want to put an L67 in here because I'd rather simply buy a car that has one already. Partially due to being lazy, the other part of it being that I didn't want to deal with the technicalities of a motor swap.. and the third part being I didn't want anything faster back then.

:bigthumb:

But seriously... it would cost less to just swap a L67/4t65e-hd, and then the car would be something for you to respect since you put the work into it..... shit, get an L32 and a 4t65e-hd and start with 20 more HP
I would like to get away from *this* car.. plus buy something with an L67 already installed :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info