3800 4T80E>4t60/65/hd

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
these things are so massive and strong it turns me on lol

we got going on swapping in the 4t80e behind the rear L67, we used the race prepped block for fitment and mockup (drilled mains, oiling mods, notched bores etc, etc, etc)

evidently the l67/36 flexplates already have the 4 small holes punched in the correct locations they just need to be ground larger for the 10mm bolts.

i took measurements for how much has to be removed from the rear engine bellhousing bolt hole (dont worry the small amount of material that is removed doesnt prevent the block from being bolted in front of a 60/65e in any way, so the block is now "dual pattern" if the new 80e bellhousing bolt hole is drilled and tapped (i used 3/8ths-16 since i have sooooo many grade 8 bolts...)

after laying out the new hole location i drilled and tapped it, then i moved onto the trans to engine brace, all it took was a small piece of 2x2x3/16ths angle.

enjoy all the pics...thats a 93 Gp 60e....

4T80Evs4T60E1.jpg

4T80Evs4T60E2.jpg

4T80Evs4T60E4.jpg

4T80Evs4T60E5.jpg

3800SIImatedto4T80E6.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
reworkingrearbellhousingbolt.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x284/tu...-8ths_16tap.jpg

relocated knock sensor (not enough clearance for the OE lower water jacket location

relocatedknocksensor1.jpg

relocatedknocksensor2.jpg

as you can see it's nothing too complicated....

newbellhousingboltholemeasurments.jpg

heheheh yes we are running braided stainless for the trans cooler lines (remember the rear trans uses a trans circulation pump for when the rear is in neutral/engine off while driving)

3-8thsgrade8boltandflareto-6ancoole.jpg

hey bob....if i can find a really talll geared 80 how about we try to delete 4th and 3rd gears in your setup....it'd be like a 2spd powerglide sexed up as a 1 ton fwd trans lol

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
KRsensorbossandtranssupportbracepoi.jpg

voila a trans to engine brace...gotta get better bolts (polished stainless... :lolsign: )

KRsensorbossand2x2x3-16thsangletran.jpg

now thats a trans that'll handle boost in 4th gear.....i can just hear the crinkle of tickets that Al will be getting....

looksprettytuff.jpg

now i just have to cutoff the ear on the rear L67 thats bolting to it and drill and thread the bolt hole

then we'll be ready to fab the 4 corner solid drivetrain mounts that will hold it all to the 90 toronado subframe while we find a new rear subframe....

nowijusthavetodothebellhousingearon.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotemain'>
So when are you going to sell the conversion kit to put this in the front of a car?
[/b]
could be sooner then you think ;)

looking good james [/b][/quote]

after i manage to shoehorn it into the front engine compartment...if it'll fit a 1st gen i bet it will a 2nd gen

if anyone is looking into this they can contact me and i can provide the parts required

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yup they are compatible there are a few changes through the years for the pressure switch manifold but thats not a major issue in my book, all the major solenoids/temp sensor/etc are still there

put it this way i'll be controlling a 94 GM reman 80e with an 01 gt harness ;)

same as i have a 99 ssei harness controlling a 94 cutty 60e :lolsign:

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
yup they are compatible there are a few changes through the years for the pressure switch manifold but thats not a major issue in my book, all the major solenoids/temp sensor/etc are still there

put it this way i'll be controlling a 94 GM reman 80e with an 01 gt harness ;)

same as i have a 99 ssei harness controlling a 94 cutty 60e :lolsign:
[/b]

You are way to intelligent and creative. A couple questions if you dont mind me asking.

How much stronger do you believe the whole unit will be (what can it handle stock)
Does it have an LSD?
How much will this cost?
When can you do it for me ;)

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
You are way to intelligent and creative. A couple questions if you dont mind me asking.

How much stronger do you believe the whole unit will be (what can it handle stock)
Does it have an LSD?
How much will this cost?
When can you do it for me ;) [/b]

well i've seen them hit 180k behind 300hp N*'s and a few that have over 200k (a certain 97 i used to work on)

all the components are bigger, IS, OS, planets, OE1 inch drive chain, and a diff thats almost twice as big as the 65ehd

not to mention the 3 fluid pumps...yes the 80e is more of a dry sump trans than the 60/65e's wet sump (no fluid sloshing away from the filter during manuvers/hard acceleration

pontiacjeff (engineered.net) on the bonnie forums makes lsd's for the 80e a really cool guy

cost wise that dep on what your looking for in a trans...you can get a good used 80e from some Jyards for 150$ others will pull it for you and give you however many days warranty (shop around 30-90days and some offer extended warranties...for 300-400$ or higher for extended warranties...

i preffer u pull it yards etc since i can inspect the car and determin it's failure, i can get a good idea of the condition, just looking at and under the car.

as soon as i light a 5 gallon can of nitromethane under bob's arse....soon :lolsign:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I almost want my trans to fail...... [/b]

no ya dont :p

will there be a bolt in kit?
Like a totally rebuilt tranny, ready to be installed.
will the pcm need work? [/b]

yes but at the same time its kinda hard to do a bolt in kit, most pieces can be made into a kit but the required reworking of the rear belhousing bolt/ear and knock sensor (cutting, drilling and taping) is probably something for the experienced diy'rs

not to mention that i'd be making it a 4 corner solid mounting setup for the 442 and whore, but at least the riv can use the bolt in aurora mounts

as fer the pcm i guess the only things i can figure on are the gear ratio and getting rid/cutting back on the Tq managment :D

you an islander too? i was born at trippler army hospital on oahu....i miss surfing...i'm keeping my board for incase hell freezes over and real waves form on lake michigan lol

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
No, I really don't but if it does I'll let you experiment on my car till your hearts content. Oh wait, I forgot who I'm talking too. I'll let you experiment with the TRANS INSTALL 'till your hearts content LOL. Don't wanna wind up with 2 GN motors and 4 superchargers by the time I get my car back LOL. Or do I.......

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
HA! you wish!....though we do have 5 blowers hmmmmm

lol

we got the new engine bolted up to the 80e and went to bolt up the SLP headers... the damn crossover sits on top of the trans selector shaft (by ~ 3/8ths inch)

while i can cut and modify the ceramic coated slp's (i can just see DD cringe lol) we do want to eventually use them on his wifes 01 GAGT when the L36/67 goes in it.
after looking closely at the whippledRiv (i'll be damned if them two words dont belong together lol) the pacesetter headers dont swing out as far from the rear head as the slp's do.
and as far as modifying headers go the PS'rs are the cheap "i dont care about modifying these" headers and i wouldnt hesitate removing the EGR tube/ear to package to fit the xover closer to the head.

does anyone have unistalled PS headers they wouldnt mind bringing over to let me test fit them? i'd much appreciate it!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Blown asked a question that wasnt answered.... will there.. or can there be a LSD/quaiffe option? [/b]

i thought i tackled that...pontiacjeff makes an LSD and already has it installed in the 80e that he's put into his twincharged bonnie http://www.engineered.net/

80e vs 65, diff's and output shafts

MVC-859S.jpg

Reactions: Rusty_regal

Thread Info