Has anyone ran 3 layer mls head gaskets?

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I'm aware of the reputation that the mls gaskets have and how hard they can be to seal up. But this is a drag only car and I need to get the compression as high as I can with stock pistons. Reliability isn't as huge of a deal as it has been with my other builds. So I'm just wondering if the 3 layer will hold any power or if I should just go with the 4 layer.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The difference that little bit of head gasket thickness is a drop in a bucket for power. Unless you're running a dome piston and actually increasing the compression (which is still peanuts when you factor in the cam and lobe duration) these small increases will net very little to nothing. Look up static compression vs dynamic compression, there's some knowledge that will help you out. Shit, running an l32 VS an l26 is like what? 5% more HP on average, IF that?

HOWEVER, running a 3 layer with copper spray between each layer will be just fine with boost. You have to spray them evenly and re-spray them whilst they're tacky for a nice even layer.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
For a blower car there's no reason to run anything but a stock head gasket. Even some shit gaskets from NAPA would be fine. Those could be your fuse if you have too much cylinder pressure from knock. WTF kind of boost are you thinking you're going to run with a blower?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info