Need other people's thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
cold motor burnout advice gang bang. now with more slopar!

So long story short, in March of 2013, I had a local shop rebuild my slipping transmission that would intermittently drop first or second gear. It was never right from the get-go and I decided that ultimately, I'd go with a triple edge trans if this was to fail.

July 2014.. the rebuilt trans in the Park Avenue failed. The car sat until April of 2015 due to family issues that needed my attention more than a car. From April to August this year, I worked on the car.

I rented a car and personally hand-delivered the trans to Dave at TEP in Fort Wayne myself as it saved a few hundred dollars over drop-shipping it on a pallet. Three weeks later, my trans was ready and I rented another car to go fetch.

I had a street and strip stage 1 build done with 3.29s and a 3000 stall precision torque convertor.

From there, I decided I wanted to upgrade a few things engine-wise. I took the engine apart to see what was what. Upon seeing that everything looked pretty good for 130k miles, I went ahead with my plans.

Comp Cams 76-907-9 "VS" .512 .517 Camshaft
Comp Cams reusable rocker bolts
Comp Cams 7937 custom pushrods
GM LS7 lifters
GM LS6 valve springs
GM 180° thermostat , factory drilled
Quick Time Performance electric 3" Cutout
ZZP Oil Volume kit
ZZP 3.4 Modular pulley
ZZP Modular pulley hub assembly
ZZP 1.0 PCM tuned for 3.29 gears, VS cam
Hayden transmission cooler
Hayden transmission cooler line pack
Autolite 104 copper cores

I got the car back together and put 1,000 miles on it before I even considered going moderate throttle with it. Overall the build had 3500 miles on it. I was going 90 MPH at WOT when one of the pistons decided it didn't like being in the engine anymore. This was August. I parked the car then and didn't touch it until a few nights ago when I finally had the motivation. Upon removal of the engine, there was oil spat out the egr stovepipe on the driver side of the lower intake, chunks of non-magnetic metal in the supercharger, lower intake and throttle body, section of oil control ring in the lower intake and a half-dollar sized hole in the block with piston hanging out of it.

I have not yet opened up the engine to have a look-see to see what exactly happened but I was monitoring the car at the time and there was zero knock, I just filled up with shell V-power not 30 miles prior.

That's a pending thought....

main scope of the thread.

I want to get another engine but have a little bit of a dilemma.

Do I..

1. Go back to full-stock except headers and cutout which are in place
2. Find a used engine and swap over what I can that isn't damaged, and order what I had considering I really liked the build
3. Build my own engine with a bare block from a junkyard/etc.

I will iterate now. I do NOT want to go turbo or mess with any other means of induction.

This also mixes in.. do I want to get an S3 L32? James says it's plug and play for the most part..

Halp.

20151128_181254.jpg

After starter motor removal

20151127_170835.jpg

From lower intake

20151127_164550.jpg

From supercharger and throttle body

20151129_174847.jpg

:fth: :nutz:

Last edited:

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
That shit will find you the short route to the ignore list. :wavey: Also.. I cannot reuse the blower. It is scarred to shit inside from the chunks of piston that got slung around for the few revolutions it made when the engine locked up. I was 6000 RPM going 90 when this happened.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I think whenever I actually have time to disassemble the engine sitting on the floor of my garage, it'll shed some light on what actually happened. I created this thread as a means of figuring out a better sense of direction on where to go from where I am at as I'm a bit lost currently in regards to what may be the best option from here.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
ohh by blower snout i meant cracked apart from the case ill bet that coupler is destroyed and maybe the gears on the rotors too....... that would lead to why the sc is trashed...... i highly doubt its shrapnel from the engine if indeed the engine locked up the sudden stop likely caused the blower to eat itself along with the coupler and rotor gears then the rotors themselves rubbing together .......

post pics when you get it apart. carnage parts are always interesting.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
20151127_170835.jpg

that there son, is an oil ring. definitely does not belong in the supercharger :bowrofl:

this reminds me of the time GTP mikes car assploded at the BP Nurburgring. chunks of piston crunched up in the rotors

good luck with whatever you do. I'd toss a junkyard motor in with the cam you have now if it isn't screwed

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
I'll add another to the j/y motor and cam. Hopefully the cam made it out unscathed after all of that carnage. I'm intrigued to see what you find once you open her up :noes:

I was liking this build, sucks that after a short while it let loose. You have any idea yet as to what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info