Gauging interest: Adapter plates for M122/TVS2300

As some of you may know, I cobbled together an epoxied adapter intercooler for my build that allowed me to bolt on a M122 supercharger. Fitment is a huge issue with my giant intercooler core (am using a stock cobra core), and I always fully intended to replace that piece with a properly done machined/welded aluminum piece, and the time has finally come to order the raw materials...so the question is, should I order 1 set of plates, or multiples?

So why do this? Turbo power levels, without sacrificing the awesome low end torque and instant response of the supercharger. Secondly, cost. Third, convenience. M122s can be had in like new condition on ebay all day long for around $500. The TVS blowers are harder to find and still run $1,500-2,200 or so. Obviously you will need supporting mods, but you do with a turbo as well, so I don't count that part of the cost when comparing to a turbo setup. Theoretically, this could be installed in a couple hours vs the 10 hours it takes to install a basic turbo kit.

These plates will accommodate either the M122 supercharger from the earlier GT500s, or the new TVS2300. They are 35%, and 55% larger than the stock m90, as well as having much, (MUCH in the case of the TVS) larger inlet and outlets and higher efficiencies. They have a 10-rib drive pulley, at this time I am running mine on an 8-rib ZZP setup. At this point, you would be on your own for the throttle body side of things as my setup is significantly different than the northstar TBs or whatnot that most guys use.

As an added bonus, the adapters will come drilled and tapped for 6 1/8" NPT water injection ports, and 6 1/16" NPT nitrous ports for direct port applications of either type. All you would need to do is drill your lower intake accordingly, and if you don't want to utilize them, just don't drill your intake. Put plugs in them if you feel the need, but if the holes in the lower intake aren't present, there shouldn't be the need for that. I have yet to see if there will be fitment issues attempting to install either or both of those setups, but I intend to build the option into the adapter as best I can anyway.

As far as fitment goes, you would need an alternator relocation bracket, and probably in the neighborhood of 1, possibly up to 2" cradle spacers (which I can provide, plus longer bolts), to clear the hood. Granted, my setup needed 2" to clear the hood, but my present intercooler is like 4.5" thick and buried a couple inches into the lower intake whereas the new plates will sandwich a 1.25" thick bell intercooler core and have a total height of 2.25".

So, what's the cost? Well frankly, this first one between all the crap I've bought trying to make it work, will probably have cost me well over $5,000. I think I can get that number down to something that could reasonably compete with an entry level turbo kit. I won't know final pricing until I have one built...but for a first run, it would be around $1,300 for an intercooled version and $1,000 without. If I had a large enough group buy situation going on, I think we can shave a couple hundred off those prices. In addition to that, you would provide your own supercharger, figure out your own intake situation, and your own alternator relocation bracket, various other little odds and ends, and modify your own lower intake as you see fit (basically cut as big a hole as you can in it). I can provide thick cradle spacers and longer bolts at an additional cost of approximately $100 for 4, $150 for 6...you're on your own for camber bolts/alignment or whatever you'd want to do on your setup. 3" doesn't appear to have caused any major issues on my car (although I'm not saying it's "right", I leave that decision up to you).

So, basically I want to know if there is any interest. If there are any serious buyers, I will order the extra materials for a $200 non-refundable (except in the event I scrap the idea and offer no finished product) deposit. Reply here, and/or PM me. I will want to order stuff fairly soon, so let's put the end of February as a tentative deadline. Thanks for reading!

Also, I would like feedback from interested parties on whether or not I should center the supercharger on the intake. The supercharger has to be modified to clear the alternator (one mounting tab cut off, possible clearancing on the housing) to center it on the manifold. I can be offset forward an inch to fix that issue, but it results in a much less ideal flow path for the outlet air through the intercooler. It also might make it harder/impossible to install water injection or nitrous fittings on the front 3. Mine will definitely be centered and clearanced to fit, but I would like other opinions on the matter.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
10hrs to install a turbo kit?

It takes a turbo kit, injectors, and a tune to make ~400whp. The supporting mods for a supercharged car to make that power is 5x that list.

I doubt with the availability and ease of making big power with a turbo kit, there will be any interest.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I'd be interested in this but with out using an IC. I have a gen5 e85 s1x cam GTP making around 330whp/400wtq. I love that setup because its simple and drama free.

Id love to see a TVS setup off the 5.8 gt500 on a nice build with IS3 or similar cam ported heads and E85. I believe it would make for a simple drama free setup that should easily make more than the other setup I have.

Ive also got the old black caged coupe Zach used in the 10.82 @ 126 record car. Im still up in the air about what to put in this car.

Here again this TVS Is3 or similar cam and ported heads (likely some chris hinson heads for cheap) and E85 would be tons of fun. I cant even make my mind up about a transmission. It would be nice to see this as an option also for the ability to stuff a 4t80 in to back it up with out having to hack up a turbo kit in order for the 4t80 to fit.

I see a lot of pros with this as long as the price for the adapter stays low.

Im not much of a fan of using an IC on a sc setup id rather just use E85 and keep the setup simple. (heads cam bigger SC and E85)

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
I'm definitely interested but not ready to throw money in. Just bad timing for me. If it were me, I'd put the blower in the ideal place on the intake and make it work if it's just alternator clearance. It should pretty much be a give in to have an IC for a few hundred more. I wouldn't bother with the non option. Is phenolic or something like that in the cards?

10sec, I agree but there are people makin stupid amounts of power with factory TVS blowers. Somebody posted on here maybe an LS9 vette making around 1000 with the TVS2300 on it (I don't think nitrous was involved either)

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
I understand the pros of using an IC, however there are pros of not using one too. I live in ND and I'd just throw some E85 at it. I'd like to not worry about lines leaking, the core leaking, vacuum leaks, heat exchanger getting smashed, or flo pump taking a dump.

No ic just a tvs some good heads a good cam and some E85......

Now just if the 4t80 can become a cost effective option people could build a solid SC setup with out having to cough up the money for unobtanium GMR parts.....

Hell me personally Id spray a car before using an IC so yeah those pre drilled locations would be a huge plus too. (Zex kits laying in the basement!........)

The intent for me is a simple drama free build.

10hrs to install a turbo kit?

It takes a turbo kit, injectors, and a tune to make ~400whp. The supporting mods for a supercharged car to make that power is 5x that list.

I doubt with the availability and ease of making big power with a turbo kit, there will be any interest.

This isn't supposed to be a turbo vs supercharger thread. They both have their merits, which is why I went with both, lol. The reviews/comments on ZZPs Z3 kit quote a 10-hour install, so that's what I went with. Sure, you could install it faster if you know what you're doing and have all the right tools and equipment, but if you take your time I could easily see it being that long of an install.

How are the supporting mods for a supercharger any different than a turbo? You need an intercooler, fuel pump and injectors, a tune, and in this case some fitment/fab. Granted, there are *some* differences but your claim of 5x the mods is a huge stretch to say the least. To each his own, but I think if this is priced under $2,000 intercooled and ready to go (revised for clarity, that figure is $1,300 intercooled adapter, $500 supercharger, and $200 allowed for other misc expenses), it can definitely compete with an entry level $2,500 turbo kit with NO intercooler, and put a lot more area under the curve.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
2k for the plate with an ic? Too much by the time a person foots the bill for their own sourced M112/TVS.

can count me out for anything over 1k. Id have zero interest in a setup with an IC. (which I'd assume is where a good chunk of the expense is)

Target needs to be adapter plate/sc/heads adding up to around 2500 or less. (turbo kit cost)

Heads im talking about here would only be around $500 if sourced from Chris Hinson.....

SC cost obviously varies greatly depending on going with a sub $500 M112 or a 1k plus TVS.

I'm definitely interested but not ready to throw money in. Just bad timing for me. If it were me, I'd put the blower in the ideal place on the intake and make it work if it's just alternator clearance. It should pretty much be a give in to have an IC for a few hundred more. I wouldn't bother with the non option. Is phenolic or something like that in the cards?

10sec, I agree but there are people makin stupid amounts of power with factory TVS blowers. Somebody posted on here maybe an LS9 vette making around 1000 with the TVS2300 on it (I don't think nitrous was involved either)

Yeah, I've seen 1000ish HP numbers on a TVS, and up to around 650-700 on a 122. Don't expect that on a 3800, but they are attractive numbers anyway.

Phenolic is not in the works. I had enough issues with my manifold breaking apart, and the supercharger trying to torque it's way off my engine, that I am opting for aluminum. I am not comfortable that phenolic would be durable enough to support the torque loads without additional supercharger bracing. Also, to have a bolt-together phenolic setup, you would lose either the direct port capability, or intercooler real estate, or both. With the drastically different supercharger flanges, there is no way to just have through bolts like with the sseilmnop phenolic intercoolers.

2k for the plate with an ic? Too much by the time a person foots the bill for their own sourced M112/TVS.

can count me out for anything over 1k. Id have zero interest in a setup with an IC. (which I'd assume is where a good chunk of the expense is)

Target needs to be adapter plate/sc/heads adding up to around 2500 or less. (turbo kit cost)

Heads im talking about here would only be around $500 if sourced from Chris Hinson.....

SC cost obviously varies greatly depending on going with a sub $500 M112 or a 1k plus TVS.

The 2k was including the M122 supercharger costs. We're talking about a $1000 adapter, plus a $500 supercharger, plus an allowed $500 in misc. expenses. The adapter is more with an intercooler, of course. You could potentially come up with a $1,500 or less total cost.

Id have zero interest in a setup with an IC. (which I'd assume is where a good chunk of the expense is)

It is a small chunk of the expense, really. The plate has to be a minimum thickness or else there is no way the supercharger would clear the alternator, even relocated. In fact, the alternator relocation bracket may even end up requiring clearancing...so the adapter is the same physical size either way...the intercooler cores cost $250 each (quality Bell intercooler core) plus some materials for end tank fab, so I basically am adding them as an option for cost. Consequently, there are then hood clearance issues because even at 2.25" intercooler height, which fits with an M90, the M122 sits about an inch higher on the inlet side, and thus will probably need spacers. The opening is also front-facing, so an inlet elbow runs into clearance problems faster than the supercharger itself, and will likely have to angle downward unless you run serious spacers like I am.

The bulk of the cost really is in the upper plate. It's expensive machining to get the contour to funnel the supercharger outlet through the intercooler...and there are complications and compromises all around even at that. I suspect that at the prices I have quoted, I'll be making like $10 an hour assembling these things.

Pricing definitely gets better in quantities of 10+...but if you wanted to build just ONE yourself, you're looking at a couple thousand bucks unless you are, or know a machinist and welder...which makes it non-competitive with turbo setups.

I purposely planned on including the water/meth injection ports for those who didn't want to mess with plumbing an intercooler, so it's refreshing to hear that somebody likes/appreciates that idea. However, the adapter will be the same dimensions either way, it will just be a closed box vs having water fittings on the ends.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
This isn't supposed to be a turbo vs supercharger thread. They both have their merits, which is why I went with both, lol. The reviews/comments on ZZPs Z3 kit quote a 10-hour install, so that's what I went with. Sure, you could install it faster if you know what you're doing and have all the right tools and equipment, but if you take your time I could easily see it being that long of an install.

How are the supporting mods for a supercharger any different than a turbo? You need an intercooler, fuel pump and injectors, a tune, and in this case some fitment/fab. Granted, there are *some* differences but your claim of 5x the mods is a huge stretch to say the least. To each his own, but I think if this is priced under $2,000 intercooled and ready to go (revised for clarity, that figure is $1,300 intercooled adapter, $500 supercharger, and $200 allowed for other misc expenses), it can definitely compete with an entry level $2,500 turbo kit with NO intercooler, and put a lot more area under the curve.

You can easily source a turbo kit far under $2500 though. If you're going to scrounge around for parts to build a kit, you can't price a turbo kit the same. I'm just saying you're making it unfair. If one built a turbo kit on their own, including a turbo it could be done for under $1000 all day. Shit, you can find COMPLETE kits intercooled for ~$1500.

You can't just bolt a blower onto an otherwise stock motor and make nearly the same power as a turbo can. YaknowwhatIMsayin?

BTW, aside from me playing the asshole role up in here, it would be cool to see you make that. You finta make at least one?

No, I understand and you have a point. Up until this point in time, over 300HP, turbo is absolutely the way to go. I am trying to remedy that and offer an alternative. I am completely with you on some of your points, but I do think it mostly is a fair comparison...at this point it IS somewhat of a cobble-your-own-kit. But with several working prototypes and a better understanding of what everyone's needs are, it would eventually become a complete bolt-on kit, everything included...options for the fuel mods, etc.

And yes, I will be making at least one for myself. Possibly as many as 3 for myself. This thread is about deciding whether or not I make 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 10 or whatever of these for a first run. If I had deposits from 10 buyers, for example, I could quote a final price probably 20% or more lower because the machining costs get a lot better with volume.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
The bulk of the cost really is in the upper plate. It's expensive machining to get the contour to funnel the supercharger outlet through the intercooler...and there are complications and compromises all around even at that. I suspect that at the prices I have quoted, I'll be making like $10 an hour assembling these things.

Pricing definitely gets better in quantities of 10+...but if you wanted to build just ONE yourself, you're looking at a couple thousand bucks unless you are, or know a machinist and welder...which makes it non-competitive with turbo setups.

I purposely planned on including the water/meth injection ports for those who didn't want to mess with plumbing an intercooler, so it's refreshing to hear that somebody likes/appreciates that idea. However, the adapter will be the same dimensions either way, it will just be a closed box vs having water fittings on the ends.

I understand the price dropping with volume however price would drop a lot faster if were only talking 1 plate here. Wouldn't the adapter be a lot thinner if not using and IC also? If not using an IC like id intend then all I would need is a plate to adapt the LIM to the M112/TVS. That also helps with the clearance issue by not having an IC in the way. Start talking adding an IC to a SC setup and its more garbage to worry about and having issues with. Again back to the simple E85 Gen5 s1x cam 2.8 pulley with 60# injectors and stock heads on the car I currently have, reason I love that setup is its so simple its almost laughable.

Id love to have a setup that simple but with

A. bigger SC.
B. bigger cam.
C. better heads.

Keeping it simple is also the key to it being cost effective! IMO the IC is pointless on a SC build it just gets too far into turbo cost territory.

Bottle > IC allllllllll day....

I understand the price dropping with volume however price would drop a lot faster if were only talking 1 plate here. Wouldn't the adapter be a lot thinner if not using and IC also? If not using an IC like id intend then all I would need is a plate to adapt the LIM to the M112/TVS. That also helps with the clearance issue by not having an IC in the way. Start talking adding an IC to a SC setup and its more garbage to worry about and having issues with. Again back to the simple E85 Gen5 s1x cam 2.8 pulley with 60# injectors and stock heads on the car I currently have, reason I love that setup is its so simple its almost laughable.

Id love to have a setup that simple but with

A. bigger SC.
B. bigger cam.
C. better heads.

Keeping it simple is also the key to it being cost effective! IMO the IC is pointless on a SC build it just gets too far into turbo cost territory.

Bottle > IC allllllllll day....

The clearance issues aren't only where you think they are, they're in just about every direction. The M112 is basically the same dimensions as the M90, except the rotors extend MUCH closer to the snout. The adapter plate is going to be a super tight fit even with the supercharger raised the 2.25". A one-piece thinner adapter certainly would be cheaper to make, but it just plain won't fit. The only solution along those lines that might work is a whole new lower intake, possibly with redesigned external coolant lines and/or provisions for a deleted balance shaft...which is beyond the scope of what I'm wanting to do.

The one-piece also would eliminate any possibility of water/meth or nitrous injection ports, and may create additional clearance issues with fuel rails or coils or other stuff that I haven't even checked on.

I went out and took another good look at my car. A thin/flat one piece adapter may be possible from a clearance standpoint (although significant supercharger and alternator clearancing required) but the bulk of the supercharger outlet is completely blocked off if you do it that way with no room for a transition funnel...because the outlet pretty much physically extends well past the end of the stock lower intake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info