Transmission guidance

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
So long story short, bought the beater with a few known issues and a couple have popped up but I knew the trans was touchy so I added a tune to make it shift quicker and reduce clutch wear. Now its getting to the point where trying to throw any sort of rpm over 3500 at it and it just laughs at me. So I use this for pizza delivery and its been great but its getting progressively worse.

Here is the area where I am not so sure of I have a trans with roughly half the miles but it is a HD and the car has a non hd trans in it aka regal ls. The ls trans has a 3.05 ratio and the hd has a 2.93. How much acceleration am I going to give up if any by swapping straight across and not sticking the NA gears in it to give me 3.29. I know I would need the HD axle on the pass side, but my second question is that the part numbers are diffferent for the drivers side but I have read that they are the same. This car only has a gutted box and a tune currently, All the further I intend to go is to add a set of cheapie headers and resonator delete and ported or smoothed lower intake and the UIM fix for the egr if I even keep the EGR.

I'm not looking to make stupid power just a peppy driver that can get out of its own way with some of the dumbass drivers we have up here. Case and point it was icy and I watched this chick (soccer mom) gun her suv on ice and spun the tires so much it started smoking the tires or the diesels that blatently run red lights.

This being said about the type of life it has would a 9c1 trans cooler be worth the extra coin as a little bit of an insurance policy?

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
The trans is happier now with the lucas but after talking to a pizza coworker, who is a ford mechanic, he said that the tq converter is prolly on the way out also. The easiest way to describe the noise is that it sounds like a playing card in the spokes of a bike. trying to decide if flipping the gears to give it a 3.69 ratio would be worth it in the HD I am going to stick in it?

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
No, you can't flip them around. Whoever told you that was wrong.

[MENTION=10105]GTPpower[/MENTION]

To change to a 3.69 ratio you will need to use a 33 Drive and 37 Driven sprocket set AS LONG AS your final drive/differential is a 3.29 ratio. The combination of chain sprockets and final drive ratio gives you an Overall gear ratio and is how you would get a 3.69 ratio. Gears can certainly be swapped, even in the vehicle- you just have to lower the trans down enough to get to the side cover then you will need to remove the pump/valve body/channel plate as an assembly. This is the same course of action you would do to replace a 4th clutch hub and there are plenty of write-ups on forums and YouTube videos and floating around of doing this.

David Norris

Email: [email protected]

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TripleEdgePerformance

Directly from the email he sent me

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info