ICM "stacking" aka multiple ICM's in parallel...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
so while I was scratching my head over my radiator fan shroud on the Toyota... I started thinking about the one gentleman who joined up... I completely forget his screen name... who wired ICM's in parallel....
now my inital thoughts were to use our ICM as a logic driver for LSx coils ran in parallel...the upside of this being that the coils are firing at the same kilovolts from bank to bank.

but last night after playing with a few of my junk ICM'S. ... I think I like this dudes solution is quite elegant if I can pull off a stacking plate and tig the coil primary terminals together.

with the new mounts a deck on the TR I have to make a new ICM mount so this is the perfect time to play.

I'm going to do a really good emi shield on the new ICM loom... as I'm not sure the ICM inputs are completely isolated though I know they do have some noise filtering...

this should be fun I look forward to electrocuting myself soon

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
hacked apart one of my broken ICM's

figured id map out the coil primary terminals and see whats doable

here you can see the individual trigger circuits with the black plastic between

i did a bit of work to the plastic and managed to bend over the terminals easily to allow the ICM's to stack directly above each other.
should be easy to solder some braid from it to a modified upper and seal it all up with RTV so that the two modules are joined with 6 primary circuit taps and weathertight.
so at least it'll be semi servicable and fit a heatsink between em

as you can see its quite nice...

a rough draft as it were... :naughty:

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
I guess I be dumb, but I assume this is to get more powerful spark?

If so, I plan on just running the MSD box crap like ZZP does on the drag car. Couple wires
and the doofy red adapters that go under the coils. Its some $$ I guess, but
it already exists and easy to hook up. I have to get to that point first to even
bother tho. So far haven't had a problem of breaking up on the high end.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
God damn stop fucking with this useless shit. People have made more power and gone faster with less.

While I usually agree with you on this, for the spark, that isn't the case

Majority of the fast cars and big power cars had to switch to some sort of different coils or at least use the MSD DIS6 iirc system... that is $$$$, even used.

If this corrects that by using a couple stock ICMs, then thats a bunch saved and still effective

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
in for running a .070 gap and 25 lbs of boost

dunno about that...but opening it up to .045 was where the idle was much better...much better than idle quality with .028

the factory power supply to the icm/inj/etc is pretty convoluted with some circuits going through 6 connectors...and each of those with the resulting resistance/voltage drop...much the same way a 8-10amp FP benifits from a rewire id say that it would be a requirement in this case...

im pretty sure that these ICM's would be equipped with a dc-dc converter to keep noise out of the 3x/18x/7x signal calcs...but even then tapping into the alternator for the new icm/inj feed relay should help...besides its mostly wired in already with the redundant FP relays next to it :jg:

wayyy cheaper than an MSD DIS 4... i still havent seen a used one for less than 250/300 and thats not even including the coil adapters

besides its something to practice layout, getting much better.
as they say, practice makes perfect fun of trolling pandawg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Be interesting if this all works out.

The MSD DIS boxes seem to have a high failure rate... which is why I havent
bothered even ordering ahead of time.

victorias-secret-facebook-like-panty.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
dunno about that...but opening it up to .045 was where the idle was much better...much better than idle quality with .028

the factory power supply to the icm/inj/etc is pretty convoluted with some circuits going through 6 connectors...and each of those with the resulting resistance/voltage drop...much the same way a 8-10amp FP benifits from a rewire id say that it would be a requirement in this case...

im pretty sure that these ICM's would be equipped with a dc-dc converter to keep noise out of the 3x/18x/7x signal calcs...but even then tapping into the alternator for the new icm/inj feed relay should help...besides its mostly wired in already with the redundant FP relays next to it :jg:

wayyy cheaper than an MSD DIS 4... i still havent seen a used one for less than 250/300 and thats not even including the coil adapters

besides its something to practice layout, getting much better.
as they say, practice makes perfect fun of trolling pandawg

seriously would love this.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info