3800 *NEED HELP*

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Whatever you do, don't buy walmart, or basically any shitty paint. I only really used to work with lexan bodies, so I only know if you wanted to paint like, a lexan windshield or something. ;)

I can't stress enough on using a high quality paint though, and don't skimp on it. Walmart paint just sucks. If you know temps will get hot, get a brake caliper-type paint...one that has high temps before it starts to bubble and such.

What would actually be best is to use a dye rather than a paint though. Dying vinyl interiors tends to work out a lot better. But, if you're stuck on painting, use like a rustoleum, or a flexible type paint so no cracks or chips happen. Your interior shrinks and expands depending on the temperature (ie, rattles more in the winter). Expect prices for the vinyl paint (at auto stores should carry them) to reach around $5/can.

If you want to do a design in it for some odd reason, or to do multiple colors on a single piece, use a nice vinyl masking. Parma/PSE (google.com) makes the best vinyl masking tape you can get at any hobby shop (R/C, slot cars, etc).

I'm really into the actual painting part of it. Painting is almost my specialty since I used to do tons of r/c car bodies, which required a lot more precision. Hell, I even have an airbrush and compressor for it. For the actual painting, everyone should know this but little follow it: use thin layers. Hell, wtf, I'll just be there when you do it lol. IM me on AIM when you want to so I can just meet up with you. I want to take my interior apart anyways.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
leo did you see mine when it was blue?
clearcoat is the key, i did mine and i helped my brother redo it in yellow

if you're going to do it on friday, drive home with the parts in your trunk and dont put them in for AT LEAST 24 hrs, it may seem dry- but it isnt.

gimme a call if you guys meet up.

the blue i used..... i have the can somewhere, it was a really nice metalflake- really easy to use.

the yellow was pretty easy too, VHT brake caliper paint. it needs more clearcoat and is really weak without it.

LPSPEED2

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Addison
YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yeah clear coat is Key!!!

Yeah Steve i liked ur's better, ur brothers looks GAY!!!!!!!!!!
j/k John, i like blue better than yellow though. But it still looks good. I'l let you know if we meet up, most likely in Addison, cause its between wheaton and schaumburg, and 3 of us live here. And i need to lengthen the PVC, lol, im lazy.

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Wow. Addison just-so-happens to meet in the middle of wheaton and schaumburg? lol, nice. you truely are lazy :p

As for the 24hr thing...Only the top part is really dry after 24hrs...I wouldn't recommend for 3 days. As for driving home, yeah good luck. Putting them in your trunk will probably just yield a bunch of scratches in the paint job when they slide around.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
autozone is where i get the paint from.

the trunk wont scratch the peices, just stick them back there with some newspaper, its dry to the touch after 30mins/an hour or so. but its soft for a while.

you never did you PVC leo? didnt you grab it from the side of my house like a month ago?

I used palsti-kote for my dash. it has held up really well, a year and a half, i did not put any clear coat on the dash. i never thought about doing it. but i have yet to have a flake or chip come off. good luck syp, let me know if your goin out, i might be interested in tagging along :D

zack

240769_21_full.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info